Windows 7 Any way to force resolution with Intel 915?

iamandyh

Using a Dell Inspiron 630m with Intel 915

Initially does not recognize graphics card, uses Generic PnP monitor. This gives terrible resolution capped at 1024 x 768.

Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) appear in Other Devices section of Device Manager with yellow warning triangles.

I have tried everything, uninstalling drivers, windows update etc.

I can force a temporary fix by updating the Video Controller device by browsing for the XP drivers. This then makes the resolution perfectly and everything works, but the Device properties show this message:
"This device is working properly.
The drivers for this device will be uninstalled when the machine is restarted. Any changes you make to this device will not be preserved.
You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take effect."
Sure enough, when rebooted it takes me back to square one.

Is there any way to

1. force Windows to keep the new drivers installed after reboot
or 2. force a higher resolution from the Generic PnP monitor?

Many thanks for your advice.

I have the same issue

I have the same problem, but i could install the winxp driver by manually intallation, now the problem is when i try to start windows, it just freezes and i can't do anything but force shut down. What i do to solve this problem is disable 3d acceleration before i shut down and when i restart windows and it's ready, enable them again. anyway it's so harsh doing this every time i boot windows 7. I'm waiting for Intel to release an updated version of the driver for intel 915, meanwhile i'll be doing the same thing.

Problems with Intel 915

I have 2 installations of W7. The first was on a desktop computer with absolutley no problems at all. The second was on a Dell Inspiron 630M where I had a number of problems. The first was that I could not get wireless due to the need of a driver. The second was a resolution issue as a result of a Intel 915gm driver. After reading this forum I saw that an easy fix was just to use Windows Updata. It did the tricj immediatley for everything. However, the next morning all I had was a very bland screen with about 2 colors. It was horrible, and I could not see the laptop screen to do anything. I plugged in a monitor and both monitor and laptop screen were fine. I deleated the 915gm driver and now at lease I can see the screen. I have tried the windows update again, but it says that I am up to date with my drivers. I have tried to go to Intell to download the driver, but I always get an error that says that I am installing the driver with the wrong system.

For now I will live with the generic driver. Can anyone help.

solved

download 6.14...... driver from intel, run the installation in compatibility mode for XP SP2. right click and have the assesment tool decide which mode to run it, it will then modify all the files in the folder to be in compatibility and the driver will stick.

still not great for Aero but all ther features then work and video plays. Even gets the srceen flip to work on the tablet.

I'm waiting for Intel to release an updated version of the driver for intel 915, meanwhile i'll be doing the same thing.

Intel is not releasing any updated drivers for Intel 915 based on what I read. Windows won't allow the Intel 915 chipsets to be WDDM compatible, so Intel has no reason to update the driver, as Windows won't recognize it as being compatible.

There is currently a lawsuit opened against Windows for basically forcing people to update their PC's to support their newer operation systems (VISTA / WINDOWS 7 / etc...), since they do not allow certain Intel chipsets to be compatible with their newer operation system, even thou they are FULLY CAPABLE of supporting AERO and other effects. Until windows gets it's head out of it's ass, they are a dying company, and I hope they get sued for billions more. Windows 7 is a step up from VISTA, but it still doesn't suppport my monitor or chipset, which is ridiculous!

Read more about the lawsuit here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2008389236_microsoft14.html

Last edited:
Just a note to all posters who are having problems.

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Five choices
1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2009.5.12
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36
5 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

cbc76am.... Can you give a bit more detail on your solution: What is 6.14? Thanks!

win 7 intel 915 driver solved

Official windows 7 driver for 915 chipset is at Windows Update Catalog.
Use this one, forget tricks and unofficial things.

Navigate with IE8 to here

Microsoft Update Catalog

and install plugin. Then type Intel Intel 915GM

Then go to device manager, update driver, Select the option to "Search for Drivers on my Computer" and point it to where you downloaded the file. Then "Manually Select a Driver" Finally Select Display Adapters and the 915 Driver is there

credits---->
manosdoc - http://www.sevenforums.com/
ldavies83 - http://www.sevenforums.com/

But still no Aero :mad: there

I can only use W7 Basic.

I found a solution tho change Colors of W7 Basic

Check this

Link Removed due to 404 Error

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom