Windows 8 Any Windows 8 help to find and update drivers?

zmechys

Just a feedback.
Advanced System Optimizer (Advanced System Optimizer 2013 - TopTenREVIEWS) found 23 outdated drivers on my two-week old Sony laptop with Windows 8.
Even Sony Vaio Care has not informed me about outdated drivers.
As we all know, Microsoft does not recommend using third party software with Windows 8 OS.
Is it time for Microsoft to create a driver-update program and include it with Win8?
I think it would be a very good marketing pitch to increase sales of Windows 8 and gain more fans.

P.S. I understand, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".
...open the Device Manager and check for outdated drivers.

That's why they send a copy of the RTM to manufacturers, well in advance of release, so they can prepare drivers ect.. I've not seen a recommendation by MS to not use third party software though. Is this something you've read recently and if so do you have a link?

".. I've not seen a recommendation by MS to not use third party software though. Is this something you've read recently and if so do you have a link? "

Yes, I would like a follow up on that! If true, MS should be out of business by the end of the year - lol.

FWIW. It is, and has been for some time, an option in updates to also update drivers to the latest that the manufacturer has provided.

The thing about the developers drivers is that the latest are available. This does not mean these drivers have been tested by MS. MS is always somewhat behind the developers in certifying drivers. If a user wants to ensure using certified drivers then MS should be the way to go. If however you wish the latest drivers, the developers are the way to go. Be advised however that the developers drivers may or may not work as expected so unless you are experiencing a problem with a set of drivers you might want to hold off. Just my 2 cents.

You might find this good reading. It relates to Vista, but the essence has not changed.

Finding drivers: What to do when your hardware won't work with Windows Vista

Microsoft's advice how to update drivers ends up with two statements:
1. Check with the manufacturer, and
2. Manually update a driver.

I've not seen a recommendation by MS to not use third party software though. Is this something you've read recently and if so do you have a link?

I've sent a lot of questions to Microsoft about using third party software with Windows 8 and all the answers had the following statements:

"Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk. Microsoft doesn't recommend installing any third party software to optimize system performance that include making changes to the registry."

It came with the response about using CCleaner, the most reliable and trouble-free cleaning program.

I'll meet you halfway on that!
"Microsoft doesn't recommend installing any third party software to optimize system performance that include making changes to the registry.", you will agree, is a little different from:
" Microsoft does not recommend using third party software with Windows 8 OS"

The quote regarding updates, is at the end of the recommendations for using their own update service efficiently, and still finding a need. Microsoft do have a driver dbase, but it only includes the latest drivers that have been sent to them by the manufacturers

I surrender on the matter of your utility finding all those drivers. LOL I don't think I have that much hardware on my computers!!

P.S. I had to come back. I was in the process of installing Windows 8 on a clients Asus laptop, when I first read the OP. I was tempted so installed and ran the demo of "(Advanced System Optimizer 2013 ".
It came up with this in the driver section:

View attachment 1134

Looks like (Perhaps), Sony have got to get their act together

PPs. Jeez, that was a big mistake. A heap of unwanted gear in the install, which I was able to avoid, and impossible to uninstall without accepting one of their offers. Finally had to go through the Task manager and then manually delete from the registry.

Last edited by a moderator:
PPs. Jeez, that was a big mistake. A heap of unwanted gear in the install, which I was able to avoid, and impossible to uninstall without accepting one of their offers. Finally had to go through the Task manager and then manually delete from the registry.
1. ASOptimizer automatically creates backups of your existing drivers before installing updates. You may restore the original drivers if case of any incompatibility.
2. During the update, ASO informed me that the newly downloaded driver is older than my current driver. I said no to update. (User participation while installing drivers is required).
3. ASO tried to install touch-screen drivers for my laptop. My laptop does not have any pen or touch input availability.
Let's say, False Positives exist; therefore, it would be better to have some kind of driver-update program from Microsoft. That's it.

I was referring to the program itself. I am to long in the tooth to have allowed it to make any changes to my computer. As you can see, I was only examining the driver aspect, as a result of your post. It found none in need.

It came with the response about using CCleaner, the most reliable and trouble-free cleaning program.

If used incorrectly or the registry cleaner overused it can cause a whole heap of issues. Mind you, saying that and before the deluge of posts start saying what a great application it is, I use it myself.

Digressing, maybe. But. I was a regular user of Ccleaner. It never harmed my OS. But, recently, and on advice as to the unimportance of it, I have gone back to manually removing software items I have been experimenting with. It seems that the popular and expert verdict is that registry cleaners do little to improve the OS performance.
P.S. I did notice that the Advanced System optimiser used a separate reg cleaner in the folder it created. It was a name I was familiar with, but now forgotten.

Digressing, maybe. But. I was a regular user of Ccleaner. It never harmed my OS. But, recently, and on advice as to the unimportance of it, I have gone back to manually removing software items I have been experimenting with. It seems that the popular and expert verdict is that registry cleaners do little to improve the OS performance.
P.S. I did notice that the Advanced System optimiser used a separate reg cleaner in the folder it created. It was a name I was familiar with, but now forgotten.

I use CCleaner to safely shred any useless files - temp, history, cookies, index.dat, etc...
Microsoft does not offer any programs to securely shred junk files.

If used incorrectly or the registry cleaner overused it can cause a whole heap of issues. Mind you, saying that and before the deluge of posts start saying what a great application it is, I use it myself.

My favorite and "tested-over-many-years-on-many-computers" is Auslogics Registry Free Cleaner.
Does it work?
Yes, I saw some system improvement on Vista, and XP computers.
Yes, I truly believe that Auslogics Registry Cleaner made my Windows 7 running faster.

What about Windows 8?

I was afraid to use Auslogics Registry Cleaner with Windows 8. After several Windows 8 system crashes, I've decided to start using Registry Cleaner. At least, it makes me feel good.

My personal disclaimer.
At Windows 8 forum, never recommend any Registry Cleaners.
I use Registry Cleaner at my own risk.
Please be advised.

Back
Top Bottom