Windows 7 Anyone having problems running Win7 on two monitors?

chubbycheese

i have an LCD and a TV hooked to my PC. it shows the windows loading screen on the TV but when the desktop loads it goes blank.

Video card is Geforce 7950GX2.

gotta get to work. check back later.

Have you installed the graphics drivers from windows update and configured your second display?

I have been having problems with using dual monitors. Whenever I plug in my second monitor my primary display turns to blue and white flashing lines. My second monitor displays fine and I can get my primary to work by changing to 16bit colour then back again. If I do a screenshot it does not show the flashing lines. Im using a 7900gs

My multi monitor setup works fine. Currently running 1x 8800GTX power 1 22" LCD Monitor and 1 42" LCD TV and second 8500GT running the third 22" LCD Monitor. Using the lastest 181 nvidia drivers.

I recommend updated your video drivers.

Dual Monitors help here

Hi, under the screen resolution, there's an option in blue writing called "Connect to a Projector" click that and select the option you want, this worked for me.

The drivers were installed automatically. Windows Update shows that there's an update for it but errors when it tries to install. the error occurs when it's already been installed(according to the error description)

Hi, under the screen resolution, there's an option in blue writing called "Connect to a Projector" click that and select the option you want, this worked for me.
i don't see that option on the screen resolution page.

when i tell it to extend the desktop to the second display it errors "Unable to save display settings"

i've tried both the nvidia control panel and windows. still nothing.
Is it possible to use the up to date drivers for vista for the video card?

The drivers were installed automatically. Windows Update shows that there's an update for it but errors when it tries to install. the error occurs when it's already been installed(according to the error description)

i don't see that option on the screen resolution page.

when i tell it to extend the desktop to the second display it errors "Unable to save display settings"

i've tried both the nvidia control panel and windows. still nothing.
Is it possible to use the up to date drivers for vista for the video card?

Its in Blue writing under the drop down menus for "Display", "Resolution" and "Orientation"

Press the Windows key, tab and "P" you should get the menu options for connect to projector

Last edited:
tried Moosetek13's thing. still nothing. windows still says "unable to save display settings"

and to hoopsdavis. this is my display properties window.
display.jpg

Thats weird, and you're running the actual 7000 build beta?

I'll dig a little deeper for you and se what I can find out.

I am currently running both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Beta and have had no significant problems running dual monitors.. I do have to admit though on the 64 bit version it took a little more time to get both up and running properly but with a couple driver "tweaks" it's fine now... :) Primary display is Samsung 22" LCD (T220) Secondary is a NEC Multisync LCD1700M+ (an oldy but a goody none the less, I use it mainly for surfing/working with apps when I'm watching a video on the primary display).. ;) The video card in my main comp is listed in my system specs but it's a Radeon HD 3870 512MB..

I am also seeing the flickering blue and white horizontal lines when i setup for dual monitors. I am using an nVidia 7900GT

I have managed to find a fix for the blue and white flickering lines. I searched google and found that there had been problems with Vista with EVGA factory overclocked cards. The problem was exactly the same as mine. The solutions were to either underclock the card or use the 158.24 drivers as these were the last that worked properly. I have installed the drivers and everything is now fine. Unfortunatly the drivers are quite old but are working fine, it may decrease performance in some games - I dont know.

The easiest solution is to install the older drivers. I dont know why I have the same problem. I guess that my card is similar to the EVGA model in some way. It is annoying that it seems the driver problem has not been fixed unless I have missed something. Are you using a EVGA card and were you using Vista before trying 7?

Thanks for the info! I am using an eVGA 7900GT, and no I have not used Vista prior to Windows 7. I think I would like to change the clock to factory speed. Do you have anything you can point me to? I will see about the 158.24 driver if I cant get the clock sorted. Thanks!

im running x64 with dual monitors. my screen kept flickering when using a nvidia card, and when i swapped to an ati card. the flickering went away. i put the nvidia card back in and the flickering appeared again. this may be a separate issue to the OP's issue but its worth a shot. what i did was swap the dvi cable with a vga cable and that solved everything. so if you are using a dvi cable and are having monitor issues. try using a vga cable instead. right now my main monitor is on a vga cable using a dvi to vga adapter. and my secondary monitor is directly connected using a vga cable. hope this helps

Thanks for the info! I am using an eVGA 7900GT, and no I have not used Vista prior to Windows 7. I think I would like to change the clock to factory speed. Do you have anything you can point me to? I will see about the 158.24 driver if I cant get the clock sorted. Thanks!

I think u can use ntune to lower your clock speeds, although from what I can gather you will need to flash your graphics cards bios wuth the new clocks so that it runs at those clocks from the moment you turn it on. you will still get the problem on start up if you dont as ntune wont have loaded the clocks you have chosen yet. You can try using ntune to lower the clocks then changing resolution to see if the problem goes away, but the problem will still remain when you boot up. I think I saw that the core clock needed to go down to 488, Im not sure about the memory clock. I also saw that overclocking sometimes fixed the problem.

My issue is slightly different. I'm running the beta on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop (/w ATI Radeon Mobility 9000) and also use an external Acer P244WB 24" monitor.

The picture displays fine on both screens, and with the laptop screen as the primary I can extend the desktop to the Acer monitor.

However, when I go to set the Acer as the primary monitor and press 'Apply' it comes up with error message 'Unable to save settings'.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am having the same problem with the blue and white lines, it looks like corrupted drivers, however it only works when I choose "extend display" I can use both displays fine individually, or cloned, but not as an extended desktop.

I am using an XFX Nvidia 7900GT, and have tried both the newest drivers and the 158.24 suggested. My card is not over clocked.

If anyone can offer any additional assistance it would be very helpful!

I am having the same problem with the blue and white lines, it looks like corrupted drivers, however it only works when I choose "extend display" I can use both displays fine individually, or cloned, but not as an extended desktop.

I am using an XFX Nvidia 7900GT, and have tried both the newest drivers and the 158.24 suggested. My card is not over clocked.

If anyone can offer any additional assistance it would be very helpful!

Does the the same thing happen when you change resolution? I could use one monitor on its own and it would be fine except when I changed resolution. Im not sure what you could try, maybe even older drivers, or try clocking your card to what has been said here before.

I can change resolutions freely on each monitor, however I have noticed it does happen when I lauch a video and attempt to make it go full screen. Ive tried 5 or 6 older versions so far without luck.

Back