Windows XP Anyone still using XP? And why

Matt

Well,

I have XP on my old laptop, dual booting with Windows 7, because the Source SDK's faceposer lip sync doesn't work with SAPI 5.3, which is what comes preinstalled on Windows Vista/7. Aside from that, I use Vista as my primary OS, and 7 on my older laptop when I'm not using the SDK.

I have three hard drives in my computer, one with Windows 7, one with Vista SP1, and one with XP SP3. I only use one drive at a time, as I want to keep them seperate from each other. I'm using the XP drive to host my music production programs, as they are all set up and ready to go.( They can be a bear to register them on new drives). I tried out the trial versions of them with Windows 7 Beta, and was happy with the results, so they should all work okay with the final version of W7.

I also can use the XP and Vista drives as emergency back-up drives if need be. I'm currently using the Windows 7 for my daily activities and internet travels. I'm planning on moving my music production programs to W7 after I have the final store bought version of W7 installed and running smooth.

In case of a hard drive failure, I can switch drives and be up and running in about two minutes, and fix or replace the failed hard drive at my leisure.

:)

Last edited:
My laptop has 512 RAM.
The laptop is not worth spending money on it to increase the memory to a gig or two.
Therefore, on my laptop, I still have to use XP Pro :(

My dad still uses XP since it's still working the way he likes it. He'll probably use it until they kill support for it in 5 years.

I think us Dads/Granddads have to move with the times.
I am one of XP's biggest oldest fans. I have it on all my PCs and the laptop.
However, I dual boot with Seven on my main PC.
I have been using Seven since 7000 and now don't like using XP, ha ha.

Tell yer Dad to try it. Embrace the change. It'll do him good, and he won't regret it.
Tell him I Said :)

XP still

Well of course. MY one more basic desktop uses XP Pro -- I got it second-hand off corporate lease, and it runs fine, never had a problem with it, hardware, software, or malware. The only drawback is that it doesn't have 3D graphics, and its a very low profile, so you couldn't even fit one in without doing major surgery on the case. So it probably will never get anything more; if anything, I would scale back to W 2000. [My antique laptop runs 2000.]

My main machine is fairly hot though, which is what I'm running 7 on. I never did Vista, so unless I had followed the intriguing link I saw one day about being a Windows 7 beta tester, it would still be running XP. Depending on what the final cost of 7 is, it may run XP again.

So no need to fret about XP, it's a solid OS and will be around a long time.

Well of course. MY one more basic desktop uses XP Pro -- I got it second-hand off corporate lease, and it runs fine, never had a problem with it, hardware, software, or malware. The only drawback is that it doesn't have 3D graphics, and its a very low profile, so you couldn't even fit one in without doing major surgery on the case. So it probably will never get anything more; if anything, I would scale back to W 2000. [My antique laptop runs 2000.]

My main machine is fairly hot though, which is what I'm running 7 on. I never did Vista, so unless I had followed the intriguing link I saw one day about being a Windows 7 beta tester, it would still be running XP. Depending on what the final cost of 7 is, it may run XP again.

So no need to fret about XP, it's a solid OS and will be around a long time.

How soon cuting edge OS become antique . That which was tied up in wow! Now just a solid setup ;)

Still got a copy of XP but havent needed to use it as yet :D

For me I'll stick with xp it plays any game thrown at it, drivers are still being made 15 minutes to reinstall if needed I ran vista for a while but speed wise, sorry xp win's I tried 7 when it was a early beta it ran flawless just as fast as xp no problem running any of my apps but time ran out on it and i just can't see installing a new beta for a few months, when the finished product comes out maybe I'll give it a shot.

I'm still using XP and if Windows 7 does not bring back my Toolbars I see no reason to upgrade. That single change will be all it takes to keep me out of the market. After playing around with Windows 7 for over a week I see a lot that I like. Unfortunately, I also see a lot that I don't.

Sticking with XP for now

I have 8 computers on my home network. One is Windows 7 RC, one Vista (YUCK), one Windows 2000, one that tries to like some linux version, and the rest are XP. XP is my "main" OS. Windows 7 will probably replace the train wreck Vista on the one computer, but I do not see the value or need (or available funds) to consider upgrading all, or even most, of them to Windows 7 any time soon. Overall, Windows 7 is a huge improvement over Vista, but only over Vista. By the time Windows 8 comes along, I will probably have migrated most of my computers to Windows 7 because, by then, XP will have become as obsolete (unsupported by Microsoft AND by software producers) as Windows 2000 is now. I will NEVER have another Vista machine in my house or office...............EVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER!

Another reason I'm keeping XP on a hard drive is that I have seperate licenses for my XP and Vista programs, and may get a third license with Windows 7. So I don't want to waste a license that's already bought and paid for, so I'll keep XP and Vista for back up and another computer if I need to.

I have XP on my old laptop and I duel boot XPsp3 on Frank-n-Stine (older PC) but I'm duel booting Vista Ultimate and 7 on this one. So far 7 is very responsive and only BSOD after I restart from sleep mode, but hell vista does that too LOL :rolleyes:

I'm dual booting XP and 7 on my rig because my wife likes XP and I'm stuck on 7 now that I used it for a few months she's coming around though I think she'll use it more once the technical preview for Office 2010 comes out

Last edited:
I'm dual booting XP and 7 on my rig because my wife likes XP and I'm stuck on 7 now that I used it for a few months she's coming around though I think she'll use it more once the technical preview for Office 2010 comes out
I see your in Wilmington..not far from here. :cool:

Are you and your wife sharing a PC? That would drive me over the edge..My wife's desktop is cluttered with icons and her desk is cluttered so bad you barely have enough room to move the mouse. :eek:

I see your in Wilmington..not far from here. :cool:

Are you and your wife sharing a PC? That would drive me over the edge..My wife's desktop is cluttered with icons and her desk is cluttered so bad you barely have enough room to move the mouse. :eek:

yes we are and she knows whats on the desktop stays on the desktop she doesn't add anything or delete anything unless she really needs it or I tell her to what city in NC you live in?

yes we are and she knows whats on the desktop stays on the desktop she doesn't add anything or delete anything unless she really needs it or I tell her to what city in NC you live in?
I live right outside of a small town called Seven Springs..we have one blinking light, a bank and a post office..that's about it :redface: and a population of 85..
No kidding! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I live on the out skirts of Wilmington in a small town called Burgaw nothing to do here but sit and watch paint dry thats the most excitement you'll get around here unless you drive 20 minute to wilmington

I'm still using Windows XP. Although I use Windows 7 on occasion, XP is still my favorite operating system, because I know that if I ever have any problems with Windows 7 or some other OS, I can always fall back to XP without any problems. In short, XP is just that compatible with all the stuff I use on a daily basis without flaw.

Also forgot to mention I still use XP Pro on my wifes laptop it can preinstalled with Vista it ran so slow I could goto the grocery store spend $100 and come back and it would still be loading put XP Pro on it and it zooms past was going to put 7 on it but it's her college laptop and I don't think she'll appriciate that to much

Back