Windows 10 Appeal for help

fstjohn

My grown son is staying with us (no snide remarks, please) and is a gamer. He has an Xbox and a very fast new Win10 gaming desktop (although he had the same problem with his previous Win7 system). Both are connected via wifi to the house dual band AC router on a 40Mbs down, 4Mbps up cable from our local ISP.
Here's the problem. My Linux Mint 19.3 desktop and laptop both experience about 40mbps download speeds measured by speedtest.net. My desktop is normally connected to the router via ethernet while the laptop uses wifi. However, both my son's fast desktop and the Xbox consistently experience between 2 and 9 Mbps down, sometimes in the Kbps range, over the same wifi. It matters not which band (2.5g or 5g) he uses and whether he uses the inbuilt wifi or a USB Wifi dongle. I've tested the physically same wifi USB dongle on my desktop with the eathernet disconnected and still get about 40mbps. I've put my Cinnamon laptop physically adjacent to his system and still experience 35-40mbps download speeds. We both use Brave as a browser. He runs updated Windows 10 Home with nothing running in the background for speed testing. He's checked and downloaded the latest drivers with no change.
I can't believe the difference is the operating systems. I dislike Windows but it can't be that bad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we could do to fix or diagnose this problem?

All modern OSes can handle high speed internet no problem. There are many things that can affect speeds and even more with wireless.

Some items include
  • Faulty hardware
  • Type of hardware
  • Available standards (802.11 standard)
  • Interference
  • Material the signal passes through
  • QoS
  • Security software

I agree with your observations in general, Neemobeer. However, keep in mind that this problem existed with his previous Win7 system and the existing Xbox as well as the new Dell gaming system. He experiences a strong wifi signal, and my laptop sitting directly adjacent to his tower, within a few inches, does not experience the problem. It's been pointed out that Linux, using generic drivers in the kernel, should theoretically have worse wifi performance than Windows using proprietary drivers.

Linux drivers are not exactly generic, they are based on given chipset specifications. I would say the issues are software or configuration. I would start by booting into safe mode with networking and test there. Also examine the driver configuration.

Also see if the hyper v feature is enabled this can cause strange network performance issues.

Back
Top Bottom