Windows 7 Application: Classic Shell

But I was talking about installing Windows XP onto one of my other Windows 7 netbooks. I was thinking of doing this by taking an image off of my Windows XP netbook.By going to where it says advanced system restore on Windows 7. Then where it says advanced recovery options-replace everything on your computer with an image you created earlier. And then take an image of my Windows XP operating system on the Windows XP netbook I have got, with all of my programs installed. By putting it onto a USB stick or a CD OR DVD. I would do this where in system restore,where it says back up your files. And then on Windows 7,where it says restore your system with an image you created earlier in system restore. And it does go on to say that this will replace everything on your computer.

So will that replace Windows 7 with Windows XP? And as it is just an image taken off of my other Windows XP netbook will it work? That is the question I am trying to ask. as I can find nothing on this on the web. On the web it just says about installing Windows XP on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 netbook using a thumb drive or CD. But by using a real copy of Windows XP,a CD. Which I do not have as the CD of the operating system never came with any of my netbooks. Andrea Borman.

You are talking confusing here. Okay are you using the system restore from the manufacturer or from Microsoft? Do you boot into Windows to preform the system restore?

Recovery Microsoft..jpgWell,there is a system recovery from Microsoft on windows 7. and under advanced recovery method there is an option to replace everything on your computer with an image you created earlier. You go to system restore and click advanced recovery methods on Windows 7. See this picture,click on above image left to enlarge-The first option says-use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer. And the second option says, restore to factory condition. And yes,it is the Microsoft system restore on Windows 7 I am talking about. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
That is Microsoft recovery, and not the manufacturer recovery. That can change a lot about your computer, though it is still OS dependent. This means that it can not change what OS is installed, only change files and components of the OS. The Windows that support that are ME, XP, Vista, 7 and possibly 8. Though like I said, it is OS dependent. So XP recoveries will only work on XP OS, ME recoveries will only work on ME, so forth and so on. Even though it was a good idea, it wont work. Sorry, hate to tell you that. Good try though, I liked where you where going with that thought process.

That is Microsoft recovery, and not the manufacturer recovery. That can change a lot about your computer, though it is still OS dependent. This means that it can not change what OS is installed, only change files and components of the OS. The Windows that support that are ME, XP, Vista, 7 and possibly 8. Though like I said, it is OS dependent. So XP recoveries will only work on XP OS, ME recoveries will only work on ME, so forth and so on. Even though it was a good idea, it wont work. Sorry, hate to tell you that. Good try though, I liked where you where going with that thought process.

No,I am glad you told me. If you had not have told that I can not use the Microsoft recovery to replace my Windows 7 with Windows XP. I would have gone ahead and done it, and messed up my computer. So it is a good job I did not try that. Thank you for telling me.

But it looks like I could be right-it is not so simple to install another version of Windows over the version you have got. Unless you take the easy way and just buy a Windows XP computer or laptop,which I did. So now I have got Windows 7 netbooks and Windows XP netbooks. Andrea Borman.

Back
Top Bottom