Windows 7 Are theyre any wireless cards that work with w7?

strizbiz

Hey all, I know its a beta, and I now its for testing, but I have a usb wireless card by sprint, they told me they don't have drivers for windows 7 yet (crap) so after reading a lot of forumns with people who have the same problems and not seeing any of them getting helpful answers, are theyre any wireless cards that do work with windows 7? any at all?????????????????:confused:

I'm having the same problem with an Alltel UTStarcom UM175. It's a USB wireless card that's supposedly compatible with Vista. When I try to install it, get a message that says the operating system isn't supported.

Intel 2915 wireless

I was having issues with the Intel 2915 builtin wireless card but a got a fix on this forum. The problem i had was when I ran the setup program i downloaded from Intel it didn't recognise the card but when i went to device manager and search disk for the driver it found it and install it properly. I tried an old Netgear USB G card that Windows 7 saw but when I installed the drivers it didn't work. I recently purchased a draft N Linksys router and had a draft USB card and ran the cd that came with it and it works fine. Since I have 2 laptops I saw a deal for a Linksys Draft N wireless pc card and purchased it. Once I plugged it in it was recognised because it uses the same drivers as the usb card.

I have a Sprint air card. I booted with my Vista drive, inserted the Sprint install CD, and copied the whole thing to a USB drive. Shutdown, plugged in the WIN7 drive, booted, and was able to install the software (my CD rom wont recognize), but the OS wont recognize the device plugged in (air card). Hoping to take it to a landline somewhere, and plug in and maybe find some stuff on auto update? Any suggestions?

I am running a Belkin wireless card 7000 series which is about 1 year old and running under XP. The Win 7 system would not allow any of the upgraded drivers for Belkin to be installed. I went to device manager and located the entry for the card and manually installed the windows supplied driver for the Atheros Communications Systems B&G WIRELESS CARD. This was accepted and works great.

I am running a Belkin wireless card 7000 series which is about 1 year old and running under XP. The Win 7 system would not allow any of the upgraded drivers for Belkin to be installed. I went to device manager and located the entry for the card and manually installed the windows supplied driver for the Atheros Communications Systems B&G WIRELESS CARD. This was accepted and works great.

That's the same thing that happened to me with the Intel 2915 card.

the real problem resides on "ethernet" cards either wireless or cable.
I have two PCs at home, with W7. One has a JMicron chipset integrated LAN card and works well. The other one has a Realtek chipset integrated LAN card and if not disabled keeps showing up blue screens with memory dumping and IRQL_NO_LESS_OR_EQUAL... I tried to add another PCI LAN card but it didn't work either... the chipset was also from Realtek... both cards are now disabled waiting for updated drivers...

I installed the Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher (which I downloaded from Sierra Wireless), then plugged in my Sierra Wireless 860 AirCard for AT&T DataConnect. Works great!

I have yet to find a Linksys, or DLink product that does not work with Windows 7. Maybe you guys should try one of those brands?
As for Air Cards, they have issues. Especially on Acer computers. So if they're not even fully working with Vista, they're likely not going to work with 7.

I have a linksys USB54G wireless USB adapter that is incompatible with Windows 7.

Unless I am sadly mistaken, the OP is referring to WWAN cards or adapters for cellular networks. That is what Sprint is, a cellular network provider.

However, many of the replies here are for WLAN cards that use a wireless router or access point (i.e. 802.11 WiFi).

In the UK Vodafone Mobile connect (Huawei HSDPA modem) 3G mobile broadband works fine (as do other mobile networks such as O2 etc). 3G gives you fast enough Internet speed for most purposes perfectly usueable for browsing, email, connection to office VPN's , LAN's, RDP connections etc etc. Wouldn't use it for Video streaming however but that's another issue. Audio streaming is fine BTW on 3G.

Both W7 X64 and W7 X32. Coverage is reasonable as well. It looks like a USB stick and has a turqoise LCD when you get a 3G connection -- if coverage gets patchy drops down to GPRS - still OK for email- and the LCD changes to Green.

Vodafone -> Site map click on Mobile Broadband link for more info. Works fine on W7 both versions as I've stated.

I assume you mean these type of cards rather than "Wireless / Wi-fi" cards for connecting to Wireless networks.

I use the vodafone one a lot - it's far cheaper this side of the pond where a lot of hotels charge you (a lot) for using their internet service -- actually the more expensive hotels are the worst offenders - cheaper hotels often give it to you for free.

cheers
jimbo

I got a Belkin FD7050v4 usb adapter.

I`m using this adapter in a x64 version of windows 7. It never worked before in Vista x64, but I tried it the other day and hey presto it worked!!. Must have downloaded an updated version of the drivers for my particular release. I tried it in Windows 7 and it didn`t work, just came up with an error, so I ran the combatibilty wizard for the install program, chose Vista and then wow, it worked. I was so chuffed, I installed Windows 7 on a nice big hard drive so I can really test it by shoving every program I got onto it. Along with my music and photos, and everything else, its the best way to test it.

I have verizon um175, just right clicked on the install file and set compatibility to vista and is the connection I'm using to post this.

I have not tried this yet on Windows 7, but I am using my Verizon USB aircard with a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router (mix of XP and Vista computers). My Windows 7 computer is connected to my home router successfully by ethernet. (It is in turn connected to to the internet through a cable modem, not 3G) Has anyone attempted to connect a Windows 7 computer through a 3G router yet? Only the ethernet adapter or the WiFi (if it will work) is all that is necessary. No additional software is necessary to be installed on the computer with this set-up. I have uninstalled the Verizon software drivers from all affected computers and everything works fine. Of course, this solution involves purchasing a 3G router such as the MBR 1000. I will be experimenting with this setup with Windows 7 in a few days. I'll report if anyone is interested.

Jimbo, I just read your last entry here after posting my piece. Have you tried your aircard with a 3G router without using any Vodaphone software? That is how I am using my Verizon aircard.........Cradlepoint MBR 1000 3G router without the Verizon supplied Smith Micro software. Have two computers connected to the router wirelessly for internet service in my Motorhome.

Hey, new to the forum, great stuff ;p

Ive also been trying all night to install a Dlink DWL-G122 usb wireless on my 7 x64 system but to no avail :/ Although Dlink claims the new drivers work with Vista x64, the device isnt even recognised by the system due to (im guessing) software incompatibility :/

if anyone knows of any usb wireless that works im all ears ;p

Manic, I am using a D-Link DWA-142 USB wireless adapter on my Windows 7 build 7100 (32 bit) desktop completely without issue. Windows even installed the driver. Perhaps your 64 bit OS is the root of your problem???

EDIT: I just scrolled up and read some of the previous posts. I probably gave an answer to a different question from the one being asked. Sorry. For 3G connection, I use a Verizon USB720 modem and a Cradlepoint MBR 1000 router and I DO NOT install the Verizon (Smith Micro) software on any computer. Connection to router is standard WiFi (or, optionally, up to 4 ethernet connections) with this setup. I have not used this setup with Windows 7 yet. The only problem, which may be the problem you are having, would be setting up your WiFi adapter on your computer.

Its probably the adaptor itself as I cant install it on Vista x32 either. Ill give the belkin a shot, thanks guys!

Its probably the adaptor itself as I cant install it on Vista x32 either. Ill give the belkin a shot, thanks guys!

Its cheap to the Belkin dont use the cd that comes with it get driver updates for Vista from Belkin site and have a nice stay on this forum :D

Back
Top Bottom