Windows 7 Arrow keys malfunctioning

horsdecombat

A few days ago, I installed windows 7 home premium 7600. Ever since, my arrow keys do not work correctly. I do a lot of online game playing, for example, and I've discovered that I can no longer play almost any basic platform game on any site. The arrow keys simply no longer function correctly, and refuse to move a character in any direction. Sporadically the keys may "turn on" and work for a split second or two, but then either do not work at all or act as if they are being held solidly down in one direction (when they aren't). I believe this problem stems from installing Windows 7 because, number one, I have never had any problem remotely close to this prior to W7. (I was running Vista before.) Number two, my computer is very new (a little less than six months old.) If anyone could help me with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Details

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Build 7600
HP G60-445DX Notebook PC
2.20 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-75 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
320GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M Graphics
3072MB memory
101-key compatible with full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad

Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to mention that. I didn't do a clean install, simply an upgrade from Vista.
Oddly enough, the arrow keys seem to work fine when scrolling a text or web document, but as soon as I try to play a game they begin not working correctly.

I downloaded all the DirectX updates just now, and reset my computer. Unfortunately, no luck. I'm stil having the problem. :/

This might be caused by a different browser (version) or a slower internet connection or a software conflict or maybe an upgrade consequence. Does the game require any plug-ins or Java that you should upgrade ?

java.com

Adobe Flash Player
(different browsers require different versions)

I would be suspicious of keyboard drivers. Mabye it's using the vista drivers and they don't work right with 7
You logs may report the problems.. check the link in my tagline for identifying your problem.

Well, it's definitely not an internet/java/flash related problem. I did check and update both Java and Adobe flash.

As for tblount's suggestion.. I started doing the very first action on the "Identify Your problem" list. My list seems to have.. well, a large amount of errors. However, I have no clue how to start sifting through these to find a potential keyboard problem- I don't really know what I'm looking for. Since everything else seems to be working fine at the moment, I figured I would concentrate on my initial problem.

Do you use your notebook keyboard with the touchpad, or do you use external mouse and/or external keyboard ?

Control Panel > Device Manager > Check if either Keyboards or Mouse/Touchpad devices are not yellow. You may need to update Keyboard/Mouse/Touchpad drivers as Tblount has already mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Control Panel > Keyboard > Adjust repetitions speeds

+

read this article:

Press keyboard shortcuts one key at a time (Sticky Keys)

Do you use your notebook keyboard with the touchpad, or do you use external mouse and/or external keyboard ?

Control Panel > Device Manager > Check if either Keyboards or Mouse/Touchpad devices are not yellow. You may need to update Keyboard/Mouse/Touchpad drivers as Tblount has already mentioned.

It's just my notebook keyboard. And according to doing this, though I have other errors, all keyboard/mouse/touchpad drivers are up to date.

I'm afraid for the future functionality of my poor arrow keys.

Arrow keys not working for W7 & IE8 on an upgrade from Vista for gaming websites

I am running Windows 7 32-bit (as an upgrade from Vista) on a Dell XPS 420 and am having the same arrow key not working issue in IE8 when my boys try to play video games on-line. The arrow keys work fine when I using Excel or Word. I have uninstalled the keyboard driver and reinstalled, I have verified I have the latest flash player, shockwave player and java updates. I have also verified windows updates and video card drivers. I have also disabled and tested my antivirus SW and that did not have an affect.

Note: my work laptop (clean install) does not exhibit the issue.

I am suspecting my video card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT). The card supports DirectX 10.0, but version 7 has DirectX 11.0. Could this be the issue? Do I need a new video card, or can I install an older version of DirectX?

Thanks for any assistance, guidance.

I don't think it's you video card, in fact very few users so far have DX11 cards but nonetheless play 3D games successfully. Do not attempt to install a lower DX version especially that it is not officially available.

I suspect an upgrade issue here. You may want to try RE-installing the keyboard 7-compatible drivers (or reinstalling with a Microsoft standard driver if it's there on the list). I can't guarantee sucess though.

Did you try those online games in other browsers, Firefox, Opera, Chrome ? Just looks unusual: the keys function fine except in those online games, could those games have controls options where you customize how your keys are to function, like their stickiness etc. ?

Cybercore, thanks for your reply, and your DirectX advice. I did not want to buy a new graphics card or download a previous version of DirectX.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the keyboard device drivers. It made no difference.

I did install Mozzilla Firefox and the games that weren't working successfully worked! Which leans this towards and issue with IE8.

Back