Windows 7 ATI OpenGL [Win7 x64]

londahl

OpenGL Flickering [Win7 x64]

Hi everyone.
I'm having trouble getting OpenGL running properly in build 7000 64bit with my ATI Radeon X1950Pro 512MB AGP.

I'm trying to run Counterstrike 1,6 but have incountered alot of different problems.

Depending on the driver being used the game either:
Shows background then exits (no warning or errors)
Keep showing background but no menus (though i can hear when i move the mouse over menu options)
Flickers in menus and some of the in-game graphics but not background
Flickers on the entire screen and runs at ~15 fps

This is all in OpenGL mode. D3D mode works sort of ok, but with framedrops (not Win7's fault, flawed Halflife engine)

The drivers tried:

8-3_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59753
8-11_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_70230
8-12_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72276
and atioglxx.dll's from other non 64bit vista drivers

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo E6320@2Ghz
Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA
2x1GB Corsair XMS2
Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro 512MB AGP
Windows 7 Beta 1, build 7000 64bit

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I'm experiencing the exact same problem, the only solution for the moment that i have is to put it on Windowed mode, only then will OpenGL work.. It suck's :/ I'm scouting the net for a solution but i can't find any...

My Hardware..
ATI Radeon X1900GT (GeCube edition) 256mb HDCP Version...
Windows 7 64bit..

Last edited:
I'm having the same difficulties. Trying to play an old game called Tactical Ops with OpenGL. Does allow me to start up the game, but will give me a lot of screen flickering and beside that it will show me a normal cursor but also a typing 'cursor'.
Does work when I put it op DX, but that will give me a bad gameplay.

AMD 9950BE
Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H
OCZ 2x2gb 1066Mhz
HD3200 onboard

Yep, someone who can forward this to Microsoft support?.. Btw, i am about to reinstall directx 9.0c on the computer and check if that works.. :p Will keep u updated :p

EDIT: Nope didn't work with reinstalling dx9.. But i found out one thing i think it have to do with the fps cause if you bring up console and type fps_max "10" then it will show the screen but only with 10 fps so the more frames the more flicker :/ this blows.. So if you can bare 20 fps then it would work but it still flickers but not so intense that you cannot see shit.. BTW, DONT DO IT IF YOU ARE AN EPILEPTIC the screen flashes like hell.. :p

Last edited:
Well, didnt know about the windowed mode, cheers for that. At least now i can play.
But i think is has something to do with the ATI drivers. OpenGL is also removed from the HD-series Windows 7 Preview driver.
Let's hope AMD/ATI will fix this soon (and bring Windows 7 Preview drivers to those of us without an HD-series card)

Oh well, until then i'll be trying to find a solution

Edit: BTW can anyone confirm OpenGL running on NVIDIA cards?

I'm 100% sure that it's the same on Nvidia cards.. 'Cause this shouldn't be a ATI error because it is so for all the ATI cards i.ex my brothers 3780 x2 .. And ours.. So i don't think so but still anyone who can confirm this would be great...

Yeah well, there is the possibility that ATI is aware of the issue and removed OpenGL support in the preview driver till they can get it fixed, who knows?
Thats why we need to know if OpenGL with Nvidia cards works or not.
Its hard to find a workaround if we don't know the source of the problem ;-)

True true, but if the have undone the OpenGL for Preview driver, then how come i can use OpenGL in windowed mode.. It still renders in OpenGL.. I don't think it has to do with the graphicscards i think it's the preview driver it self that makes the trouble.. Because it flickers only everytime a new screen is rendered lets say 100fps.. i have come up to that it is 100 flickers in that.. Everytime a new screen shows bam a flicker...

Just checked the release notes and it seems like you're right:

Known Non AMD Issues
• Some OpenGL titles may show horizontal flickering during menus and gameplay
• OpenGL does note work in 16bit color modes

I had CS in 16bit mode, but just tried 32bit, still the flickering.

Guess we'll have to see if something can be done about that (perhaps in the registry?)

BTW, i don't use preview drivers, but Vista x64 drivers

Last edited:
Didnt notice any difference between 16- and 32bit. Anyway, going to have a look at it myself!

I didn't either. Just copy/pasted from the release notes.

BTW changed the topic to "OpenGL Flickering" as it seems to be a general Win7 issue, not an ATI-only problem

Same here i use Vista drivers.. Mainly because i can't get the "preview" drivers installed, i think that they are only for the HD2000 and up models.. So we are left hanging :( But hey i manage with the windowed mode i can still get my monitor to show 100hz in 800x600 mode so.. yeah... but they've got to fix this..

Last edited:
Just wanted to reply to help anyone that might look into it. It isn't simply a ATI problem, I have the same issue with the Geforce 7850 GT (I believe) .

Just wanted to reply to help anyone that might look into it. It isn't simply a ATI problem, I have the same issue with the Geforce 7850 GT (I believe) .

What do you mean with 'I believe' ?
Are you able to play any OpenGL game on higher framerate? Are you able to program thru a game-menu?

What do you mean with 'I believe' ?
Are you able to play any OpenGL game on higher framerate? Are you able to program thru a game-menu?

I wasn't 100% sure that was my video card, it turns out its the Geforce 7950 GT.

The only Open GL game I have is CS 1.6, at full screen it runs at a normal frame rate but with tons of flickering on screen unless I switch to windowed mode in which case it goes away, I haven't tried limiting the frame rate if thats what you mean.

What do you mean by am I able to program through a game-menu?

With that I was wondering if the flickering also occured while you were navigating thru your game menu. I guess it did.

I will test a GF8600gt tomorrow to see if it will give me the same problems(currently running ATI HD3200) so we can confirm both cards give the same problems.

At least in CS 1.6, the background in the game doesn't flicker at all. As soon as you click on any menu options however the flickering starts JUST for those windows that come up but NEVER the background itself.

BTW, someone mentioned in this thread http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-games/547-wondering-if-these-games-work-alright-4.html that they had CS 1.6 working fine, I posted asking about his video card/driver version so we can maybe get a better idea of whats going on here.

Last edited:
Guess that would be helpful information.

Running 64 bit windows 7, driver version is 7.15.11.8120 from 12/26, windows update shows another version from 12/31 but keeps failing to install it, working on getting that solved now.

At least in CS 1.6, the background in the game doesn't flicker at all. As soon as you click on any menu options however the flickering starts JUST for those windows that come up but NEVER the background itself.

BTW, someone mentioned in this thread http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-games/547-wondering-if-these-games-work-alright-4.html that they had CS 1.6 working fine, I posted asking about his video card/driver version so we can maybe get a better idea of whats going on here.

Exactly the same as i experienced with Catalyst 8.12. It'll be interesting to hear if the guy in the other tread is infact running OpenGL in fullscreen, or simple thinks D3D with framedrops is acceptable (or has settled on windowed mode as the rest of us have to).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom