Windows 7 Attaching Zip Files

lartomar2002

SOLVED, SEE LAST POST.
I am having problems attaching zip files to a forum. My process is to go to the files location right click on it select send to >compressed zip folder> I get a pop up that says windows can not make a zip folder here, would you like for it to go to the desktop? I click yes. That is the process for saving zip files from the programs (86) folder. For configuration files that is in the program data file, it creates a zip file in the same folder. I do not know why the process is different for different files. After I attach the files and the person receives them I tells me they are only links not the file info.
What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Last edited:
On my system, I select a file or multiple files, right click and select send to compressed (zipped) folder. The zip folder appears on my desktop, or the same folder I was in when I created the .zip folder, which seems to be what you are doing.

It does behave as you report, and I made a zip from a file in the Programs directory. I opened it and the file is there as it should be.

I am e-mailing one of the zip files now and will see if it comes through. I did get a warning about certain types of files not being allowed through the e-mail system.

Edit: Mine came through fine. Maybe the problem is on the other end in the way the recipients are handing the attachment.

Last edited:
"I am having problems attaching zip files to a forum. "
Are you trying to send direct to a forum on the web? Many Forums do not allow uploading of compressed files, as they can easily contain virus's. That could be why the recipient is only receiving the original links
It doesn't seem to be the root of the problem, but, as Saltgrass says, some mail/ISP providers, do have an automatic warning when you try and send a compressed file. This is my Live Mail warning, for example.

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

Have a look in the attachment section of the forum to which you are trying to send, and see if they do include compressed (zip:rar:etc) files.

"I am having problems attaching zip files to a forum. "
Are you trying to send direct to a forum on the web? Many Forums do not allow uploading of compressed files, as they can easily contain virus's. That could be why the recipient is only receiving the original links
It doesn't seem to be the root of the problem, but, as Saltgrass says, some mail/ISP providers, do have an automatic warning when you try and send a compressed file. This is my Live Mail warning, for example.

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

Have a look in the attachment section of the forum to which you are trying to send, and see if they do include compressed (zip:rar:etc) files.
Yes they do allow zip files. In fact they request them that way.

Maybe to large? Again, Most forums limit the size of attached files. There should be a guide there you can look at.

Nope, its not to large either.
Problem solved. as long as the files were being sent to the desk top it was only a link to the zip files. I had to go into the security section of the properties of the folder that contained the files i wanted to zip and give me permission to control the folder, then I was able to create a zip file with in the same folder then when I attached it, it was the file and not the short cut link. Hope this made sense.

Back