audio CD wont play

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by toomse, Oct 8, 2007.

1. toomse

toomse New Member

Hi peeps - newbie here
    Have a new Pentium Dual Core PC with Windows Vista. For one week I was able to rip an audio CD to MP3 with Windows Media Player. Mysteriously now when I insert an audio CD nothing happens (auto play is ok/defaulted to Win Media Player). If I browse in Internet Explorer and click on D drive the CD ejects. The same happens when I open Win Media Player and browse to D drive - again the disc ejects. I have no other audio or DVD software (Roxio etc). I can insert a DVD disc and it auto plays ok, problem is only with audio discs.
    Any help or suggestion would be most appreciated.

2. toomse

toomse New Member

I installed Yahoo Music Jukebox and the same thing happens - if I browse and click on D drive the CD ejects!!!

My CD Rom drive is listed in System Information as: PIONERR DVD-RW DVR-112D ATA device
    Device working properly / optimum driver in use

confused now if this is Vista related or a problem with the CD Rom drive

3. Jezebel

Jezebel Guest

This reads like a drive problem. But some program or drivers could be screwing up the drive. Try booting into safe mode and see if these weird problems still happen with the drive?

4. Thought I was going mad with this - it turned out to be a laser problem with the CD Rom drive. Luckily it was still under warranty so have a new drive installed and working fine…………ah the joys of life