Windows 7 Auto Dim levels?

DRuger

I've searched several forums, but can't find an answer, so I'll ask here.
I like the auto-dim feature in Windows 7 when the computer is idle, however I'd like it to dim more than it does. I can adjust the brightness while I'm using it, but I can't find a setting to allow me adjust the level the display dims when inactive. Have I missed it, or is it missing?

Hi, have you checked the advanced power settings? (see screenshot)

Advanced settings allow me to set the level it dims while using the computer, not while it's "resting".

This may only be for Dells, but I have that option under Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan Settings, Change advanced power settings, Display, Dimmed display brightness. Please note, however, that even though the setting allows you to enter a value from 0-100%, 0% is not actually completely black, but rather just is the dimmest end of the available range, which may not actually seem that dim to you (it doesn't to me). I know of no way to modify the lower limit of the range.

moz-screenshot.png

Sorry, I don't know what "OP" is (Original Problem, maybe?), but I believe he's talking about the "Dim the display" feature, whereas it sounds like you're talking about the "Put the computer to sleep" feature. Both have intervals you can set under Power Options. When my computer goes to sleep, it does indeed go black, but that is quite different from dimming the display (see screenshot).

moz-screenshot-2.png

This may only be for Dells, but I have that option under Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan Settings, Change advanced power settings, Display, Dimmed display brightness. Please note, however, that even though the setting allows you to enter a value from 0-100%, 0% is not actually completely black, but rather just is the dimmest end of the available range, which may not actually seem that dim to you (it doesn't to me). I know of no way to modify the lower limit of the range.

moz-screenshot.png

That was exactly what I was looking for! The path was a bit different, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, Change Plan Settings, Change advanced power settings, Display, Dimmed display brightness. You're right, 0% is far from Black, but it's far better than it was, and hopefully saves some power.

I've found F.lux (or Flux) that uses the time of day and your place on the Earth to determine suitable screen levels, but it changes the screen colour, not the brightness. It would be nice if it worked the other way around. F.lux: software to make your life better
BTW, the 'Dimmed display brightness' setting isn't here on this Windows 7 Pro.

Back