Windows 7 Auto Sorting question

anmykon

I saw some people complain about auto sorting but noone really replied to it.
Could someone tell me if there is any way to deactivate it, so that I can change the sequence I see my files/folders so that I am not restricted to name/date etc
It's not something vital but it can get very annoying since you can't sort things in a way that suits you and gets confusing after so many years of windows that didn't restrict you like that.
I heard some temporary solutions like adding numbers before the name... but that sounds counterproductive.
Thanx for any replies :p

Hm
The similar threads I was refered to seem to focus on slightly different issues. I am not interested in grouping the items but on changing their place in the folder. Let me give an example so you understand better.
Inside a folder I have a folder named A, another folder named B and 3 files named c,d,e.
With the sorting as it is right now, I can sort by name, date, size etc. Let's use the by name type.
The sequence you will see is: A B c d e
What i want is to keep auto arrange so that everything isn't just lying arround randomly in the main folder's window, but to have the ability to arrange how I view them. For example i want to arrange them: c d A B e

Is that possible with windows 7? Could you please reply or send me to a thread about this?
Thank you again.

Hm
The similar threads I was refered to seem to focus on slightly different issues. I am not interested in grouping the items but on changing their place in the folder. Let me give an example so you understand better.
Inside a folder I have a folder named A, another folder named B and 3 files named c,d,e.
With the sorting as it is right now, I can sort by name, date, size etc. Let's use the by name type.
The sequence you will see is: A B c d e
What i want is to keep auto arrange so that everything isn't just lying arround randomly in the main folder's window, but to have the ability to arrange how I view them. For example i want to arrange them: c d A B e

Is that possible with windows 7? Could you please reply or send me to a thread about this?
Thank you again.

Not easily but here are some options to consider

1. there is nothing to prevent you from renaming your files... adding 01 02 03 in the priority you would like to see them...

2. simply move them into subfolders, naming he subfolders abc or 123

3. Use a third party program that supports customizing

4. Figure out how the desktop allows you to sort the desktop folder to display according to your preferences.. in other words... like you can unchedk Auto Arrange -- when you right click on you desktop.

You are basically asking Explorer to turn off Auto Arrange/Sorting ... Microsoft thinks there is a security reason for preventing this. They did have it in previous versions.

Back