Windows 8 Automagic Home Group Icon

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but at some point today a brand new and unwanted Home Group icon magically appeared on my otherwise clean and pristine Windows 8 Desktop.
If you get one and like me, don't want one;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
and or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel
and or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
and or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

Data Value of 1 = hidden
Data Value of 0 = not hidden

EDIT: Reappeared next day after a couple reboots next stop was
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
Key = {B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}
Deleted, refreshed Desktop, gone. Guess we'll see if this one works permanently.

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Regards
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just appeared. I will follow the steps outlined above. Weird!

I changed the dword which did nothing. I then deleted the key from your edit and the icon disappeared. That was indeed strange. Why would that have suddenly appeared? I have been using Win 8 CP almost continuously, and done a complete custom reinstall about a week ago, and this is the first I have seen that. Very weird. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom