Avira Free Update Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by compiler, Jul 2, 2011.

1. compiler

compiler New Member

I'm not sure where to post this, but maybe someone can help.

This has happened with my W7 SP1 system but I also have XP-home on my other computers and I suspect I will encounter the same problem when updating Avira.

I have used Avira free for years and I’ve been pleased with it. I did a routine update today but it turned out to be a major update, also requiring a reboot. Now, when I boot up, it keeps asking me to install Webguard with the Ask.com toolbar. My only choice is to install or choose "ask me later." I don’t want to install the toolbar (I’m not even sure about Webguard as I do not want to slow my browsing). But that nag request keeps showing up every time I boot up. Also, the umbrella is closed because I have not installed the Webguard online protection. I don’t want another toolbar and I don’t want to slow my browsing. Short of uninstalling Avira and going with Avast (or the free MS AV), is there anything I can do.

Mel

2. kaos

kaos Senior Member

this forum is very big on microsoft security essentials, its good, reliable and very stable since its microsoft,no adds, completly free,

very userfriendly,

Personally i would say get rid of Avira and get this beauty MSE :)

3. compiler

compiler New Member

Will MSE also work with XP?

I'd like to use the same AV on all my machines.

Mel

4. kaos

kaos Senior Member

Yes it will :)

MSE is the future :)

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

If you do want to keep Avira, you can allow it to install the software and toolbar and then reboot and uninstall them through the control panel immediately.
    I don't think it will keep asking you to install it again until you have another major update.

I run into this once in a while and that usually works.

I don't like all the add on tool bars and stuff either.

I second the idea of going with MSE.

Mike

6. compiler

compiler New Member

Well, there is also Avast and AVG and MSE. Is there any agreement which one is best?

Incidentally, I think the nag screen is gone

Mel

7. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I have used AVG for years and prefer that to Avast. (which I did try for awhile).
    But I run it along with MSE, which probably isn't necessary but it makes me feel better and it hasn't cause me any problems.
    I haven't notice and performance hit, I don't use my computer when it's running that AVG scan, that does slow it down.

Every morning AVG updates and runs a scan of my computer while I have my coffee.
    In years of use it has only rarely found anything, but I still run it every day.

I'm also about the only person I know that hasn't had any malware at all for many years.
    I'm always running over to friends homes to remove malware from their computers.

I use CCleaner every day, and I update and run Malwarebytes a couple of times a week.

Mike