Windows 10 Background Slideshow doesn't include sub folders

CaptMorgan

Honorable Member
I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Version 1703 (Build 15063.138). I used to be able to select a folder for the Background Slideshow and it would include all sub-folders. Now, It only includes pictures in the selected folder and no sub-folders. I don't know exactly what update caused this to happen, but I hate it. Can anyone tell me anything about what has happened? Am I missing something, are have things changed for the worse for me and there is nothing I can do?

Kind of stupid, it doesn't appear you can include sub folders with the new settings. You can try the answer here. Seems to work on 1607, try it out on 1703. Can Windows 10's desktop slideshow use pictures from inside multiple subfolders?

I tried the "Libraries" hack described in the link, but it didn't return to the "old style" wallpaper settings for me. It just went to the current settings window, not allowing subfolders to be included. I may have been missing something and not doing it right, however, I went and tried another suggestion from the link you posted and downloaded Johns Background Switcher. I'm so glad I did this, because Johns switcher is a much better solution with lots more options. The Windows 10 switcher has a minimum time of 1 minute, changing only one monitor at each 1 minute interval. John's allows changes as low as 15 seconds and changes the image on all monitors each time. It also shows the folder location and date for each picture. I often wondered where some of the more obscure pics were located on my PC. Now I know. If it proves over time to do as it seems, I'll be contributing to John's effort.

I really like being able to view ALL pictures in the Pictures folder. Not just the good ones, but picture "rejects" that I haven't seen in years. I might end up with a picture of a nice hike or other trip on one monitor and on another monitor maybe a picture of my knee when they were operating on it, or maybe some other useless pic taken years ago. These are very fun to see.

I'm still amazed that Microsoft changed the Windows Background Slideshow, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Thanks for your help on this.

I too have this problem...in fact it has developed from Window 8.1 through each Windows upgrade.
In the 1703 Creator build it only selects images from one folder...my other two PCs, on 1670 Anniversary build still select from all folders in 'Pictures'.
Have installed 'Johns Background Switcher' and it certainly works.
I lost the 'Lock Screen' with time and Date displayed when I upgraded to Windows 10......on my 3 different machines!

I did post on the MS forum as I hadn't seen the subject mentioned before...so will report if there is any worthwhile comment there.

Another workaround is to use this script link_Nto1. It will create links to files from multiple folders inside a specified folder and will allow you to quickly switch between different sets of folders.

Usage example:

Open PowerShell and install the script:

Code:
PS> Install-Script -Name link_Nto1

Go inside your pictures directory.

Code:
cd C:/Pictures

Run the script:

Code:
PS> link_Nto1.ps1 desktop_slideshow Landscapes,Aerial,Underwater

The first argument is the configured Windows Desktop Slideshow directory (in this case "desktop_slideshow"), the second argument is a comma separated list of all directories that you want to include in your desktop slideshow ("Landscapes", "Aerial" and "Underwater").

If you want to switch to a different set of folders, just run the script again with a different list of source folders:

Code:
PS> link_Nto1.ps1 desktop_slideshow Landscapes,Aerial

This will effectively remove folder "Underwater" from the slideshow.

Back
Top Bottom