Windows 7 Backing up Win7 and all data to another HDD

buffalofloyd

Ok, I am in a bit of a pickle here. I recently built a new computer, installed my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit along with 100 different programs I have on my new 1TB HDD. I would really like to take advantage of getting another identical 1TB HDD and have them in a RAID 0 configuration. Of course, I have been informed that you can't RAID the HDD's without losing all the info on the current HDD.

My question is... can I back-up my entire HDD with the OS and data, installed programs etc... to a seperate different 500GB HDD that I am not using for temporary purposes? Then after I RAID my two 1TB HDD's transfer it all back without a hiccup? I just can't go through another re-installation of Windows and all my programs... I'm sure someone out there understands.

If this is possible can I get some guidance here? Thanks in advance :D

I have no experience with the RAID setup, but the Win 7 Backup and Restore utility will make a backup image of your system. It can then be restored to a different hard drive, so I would hope it would work on a RAID setup, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Will it fit on a 500 G drive, depends on how much data you have, but the restore process puts it back exactly as it was found with the original partition sizes.

After you make the image, you might want to test it by restoring it to the other 1TB drive first.

I suppose you have the RAID drivers and know how to add those during the install...

Thanks for your response. Right now on my 1TB HDD I only have 200GB used up so a 'backup and restore' image will certainly fit on my temporary 500GB HDD. I think what I'll do is like you said. I will make the image if I can figure out how to, copy it over to my other 500GB HDD, then remove my 1TB HDD and try booting my computer from the new image and see if it works properly. If it does I guess I am in business.

As far as RAID drivers, I was unaware I even needed those. With the type of mobo I have I thought I could just turn 2 HDDs into RAID through the BIOS. I suppose I'll have to look into this further.

Thanks very much!!!

As far as the RAID drivers, you may be right...I have no experience.

You will not be able to boot to the image, but you need the Install DVD or Repair CD to boot and use the repair option to restore an image.

Back
Top Bottom