Windows 7 Bad Driver AvgIdx64 Causing Start Failures

You ask an interesting question. I have always been under the impression all it would do is keep something from loading if unchecked, as Msconfig.exe does. That way, you can test your install to see if removing the actual entries would cause problems. But I could be wrong.

If you deleted something, go check the references to see if it is still on your system. In your case, check the drivers folder to see if they are still there and the Registry reference in the Services key.

Edit: It looks like you might be correct. I deleted a couple of KnownDLLs and they did disappear from the registry... I did not know it would do that... :up:

Last edited:
You ask an interesting question. I have always been under the impression all it would do is keep something from loading if unchecked, as Msconfig.exe does. That way, you can test your install to see if removing the actual entries would cause problems. But I could be wrong.

If you deleted something, go check the references to see if it is still on your system. In your case, check the drivers folder to see if they are still there and the Registry reference in the Services key.

Edit: It looks like you might be correct. I deleted a couple of KnownDLLs and they did disappear from the registry... I did not know it would do that... :up:
The avg drivers I deleted from Autoruns are still in the Drivers folder.:scratch:

Autoruns can and should be used as a more sophisticated and robust version of msconfig.
After using the Hide Windows entries and Hide Microsoft Entries from the Options->Filter Options Menu simply unchecking a specific entry will have the same impact as unchecking an entry in msconfig. You can go back and run Autoruns again and recheck to revert back. Choosing Delete Entry from the Entry menu will ..... well you obviously already know what that will do.
Much the same way Process Explorer, also from Sysinternals / Microsoft can be used as a more sophisticated and robust version of Task Manager.
That is one reason I strongly recommend finding specific entries and renaming the extension to .OLD rather than actually deleting them. It is much easier to revert back by simply performing a search for *.OLD and renaming the file to .sys again.

You've mention a couple times about problems persisting with Virtual Kiosk (I presume related to your Comodo Software). I am wondering if the two entries
oodivd
oodivdh
Again presumably with a .sys extension which I suggested renaming. This seems to be related to a product from here http://www.oo-software.com/en/ (they seem to sell a lot of stuff) and I'm wondering if it is somehow tied to or somehow linked with the issue with Virtual Kiosk.
And I'm wondering if simply reinstalling either the O&O Software product and or the Comodo Software product might set that particular problem right again.

It appears it does not delete the actual, but the registry entry is what is important. It that is removed, which Autoruns does, the driver is only taking up space.

I suppose your Brother printer is working OK. It looks a little strange to see something labeled as Windows ME on a drivers list. I don't suppose you have any newer drivers for it?

It appears it does not delete the actual, but the registry entry is what is important. It that is removed, which Autoruns does, the driver is only taking up space.

I suppose your Brother printer is working OK. It looks a little strange to see something labeled as Windows ME on a drivers list. I don't suppose you have any newer drivers for it?
The point is I don't have Brother printer. I bought this Dell as a seller refurbished on ebay in January, this year. No idea what Windows ME is...
I suspect the Autoruns helped, because Comodo Virtual Kiosk works again, and the boot problems have not resurfaced. I have no idea what those oodivd and oodivdh can stand for.

This is what I was saying about only you know what should be on that system. But I would guess the prior installer did not exactly clean the system prior to you having it.

There may be other devices that use Brother drivers or utilities, so I can't say for sure, but the fact they are dated from 2006 looks very strange. But again, and as Trouble mentions, you can uncheck entries to see if removing them would hurt your system. If you see no adverse effects after some period of time, then you should be safe removing them.

If you did not notice, if you highlight one of the Registry headings and right click, you can "Jump to" that registry key. If you are looking for a file, you can highlight it and select "Jump to Image" and it will take you to that folder. This capability is very convenient for checking the system.

AutoRunsForum.GIF

Edit: Oh, Windows ME was the operating system prior to Windows XP.

This is what I was saying about only you know what should be on that system. But I would guess the prior installer did not exactly clean the system prior to you having it.

There may be other devices that use Brother drivers or utilities, so I can't say for sure, but the fact they are dated from 2006 looks very strange. But again, and as Trouble mentions, you can uncheck entries to see if removing them would hurt your system. If you see no adverse effects after some period of time, then you should be safe removing them.

If you did not notice, if you highlight one of the Registry headings and right click, you can "Jump to" that registry key. If you are looking for a file, you can highlight it and select "Jump to Image" and it will take you to that folder. This capability is very convenient for checking the system.

View attachment 25466

Edit: Oh, Windows ME was the operating system prior to Windows XP.
I bought it with Win 7 installed.... Just how old this laptop could be?
As I ran Dell diagnostics from their official website, the report said it was bought in 2010. The lid looked new and barely used when I received it, but I don't know about the hardware. Are you saying this could be a 2006 laptop?
So far, it boots fine, and Kiosk is back to normal. The only missing item is antivirus, but I am afraid of Avg, and I definitely won't go with IObit. I was considering purchasing Comodo, but after Kiosk bug I am not so sure anymore.

All I am saying is some of the software and drivers you seem to have installed appear to be very old, which has nothing to do with the age of the laptop. If you run a drivers list from a dump file of a normal system, usually the only 2006 driver is the secdrv. Everything else is usually 2009 or later.

The person that had the system prior to you may have been installing old drivers and might even have been the cause of the problems it had. If you have the ability, I would really suggest you do a clean install and get rid of the old stuff. Does the system still have the ability to do a factory reset? If you can't or don't want to redo your system, go through and look at things starting up, such as some of the RAID type drivers for 2005 and use Autoruns to disable them to see if they will effect your system operation.

I could be wrong about what I am seeing. Someone else may have more experience with such a thing. But you don't have to do anything at all with your system, just as long as you are satisfied.

Oh good. I guess this is what I wanted to hear.
I want to thank Saltgrass and Trouble for taking their time and help me out. You guys are great!!!:up:

Back