Windows 7 Bad Video Card?

Joe S

Excellent Member
I think the video card on my main PC a HP d5000t bit the dust last night the card is NVDIA GeForce 9800 GT. It shows an error code 43 in device manager. I tried deleting driver and reinstalling and no luck. It was strange when It happened. I booted up the PC and it froze and mouse cursor disappeared. I shutdown with power button rebooted and it looked OK then a message popped up saying monitor was shutting down. I kept wiggling the mouse and the monitor came back up and then there was a BSOD. Everything else seems to work except the display is really miserable to use. I guess I'll have to find a new card for it. unless I've missed something.
Joe

Did the card work with this same driver before?

If you haven't done any major changes to your hardware, if this is not overheating, and if other driver versions from NVIDIA's archive don't work, then it looks like the card really bit it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When my GeForce memory broke, it would show me lots of small square artifacts even before I could boot the os.

There wasn't any warning really. No new software or hardware. I think the driver was loaded back in NOV from NVIDIA site. I've noticed since starting with Windows 7 that on shut down there was an error. NVIDIA has entered an invalid state. I assumed it was some type of timeout error.
Is there any preference on brands? I see several makers offer it. I didn't look that close when I cleaned it out and checked for loose connection. I never dealt much with hardware other than adding ram.
Joe

How long have you had the PC for if it's still under warranty take it back if that isn't possible then are you able to try the video card in another PC just make sure it is the card itself thats crook as the problem you describe can be caused by several different things
1: Corrupted driver ( try reinstalling the driver)
2: dying video card ( buy a new one)
3: Bad or dieing PSU ( Buy a new one) HP are notorious for only using PSU's just big enough for the hardware inside most often they run at 90% capacity all the time and die early

Open up the system and reseat the card. Perhaps moving the video cable around has cause it to come loose. Make sure the video connection is secure. Make sure to tighten down the thumb screws on both ends.

Do you have a second output, or another cable?

I tried all of the reseating etc. I've got the new card installed and all appears fine. I have a HPd5000t and the new card is thicker and has a bigger fan. Is it possible to move the card (sound I think) below down one space PCI there are 3 empty? I'd like a little more air between them if possible. This is my first time doing anything with components inside the case other than adding memory. It's not surprising the other card died the fan was only about the size of the old half dollars and the whole underside is shrouded.
Joe

yes you can move the card (sound you think) down a slot windows will detect it as new hardware but thats normal as the address and IRQ it had has change so don't worry just let it do it's thing and all should be good again in the land of HP d5000t

Do you have 3 empty PCIeXpress slots ?

I think he's talking about an PCI sound card not an PCIe card as he stated the new Video card has an thicker HSF on it making it closer to the top side of the sound card and reducing the amount of circulatory room for the video card fan to pull in cool air

I think he's talking about an PCI sound card not an PCIe card as he stated the new Video card has an thicker HSF on it making it closer to the top side of the sound card and reducing the amount of circulatory room for the video card fan to pull in cool air

Lol, you're right - "(sound I think)". :)

I moved the audio card down and everything works. I have one error on shut down
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 5/28/2010 2:52:48 PM
Event ID: 7016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: JoeS-PC
Description:
The NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service service has reported an invalid current state 0.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-28T18:52:48.621996300Z" />
<EventRecordID>167231</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="600" ThreadID="1072" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>JoeS-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service</Data>
<Data Name="param2">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Is this just some kind of time out thing? Or something that needs to be fixed?
When I first powered up after installing the video card the screen was black and I thought I must have screwed up until I realized I forgot to turn the monitor back on!
Thanks for the help.
Joe

I finally found a solution for the shut down error 7016. I found this on NVIDIA forum
# NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service - This service is only useful if you have specific hardware to use the Nvidia 3D Vision functionality. Since most users do not have this hardware, then this service is best set to Disabled as it is not required for normal 3D graphics functionality. The best option however is to remove this component altogether, which can be done by going to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in XP or Control Panel>Programs and Features in Vista & 7, selecting the 'Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D Drivers' item and uninstalling it. This will remove the Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service as well as the relevant driver components, which again are not necessary for normal 3D gaming, and are only used if you specifically have Stereoscopic 3D glasses and hardware.
I disabled it now the event log is clear of errors!
Joe

Back
Top Bottom