Windows Vista Best backup software

JoeyC

I have an interesting situation that I need some help with. A friend of mine who lives in Alaska has a Vista system with a 320g hd and also has two 160g hd's from his old system. I suggested that he install one of the 160's inside his new machine and get an USB or Esata external case for the other. Since he is remote and I am not that familiar with Vista, so what would be the best backup software to use? (preferably free). I use Seagate Manager with my machines and like the way it handles backups because once it does the initial backup it just does incremental/differential backups, i.e. it will replace a file that has changed but will save of copy of the replaced file in a History folder. I have used Sync Toy with XP machines and was unhappy with the results. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Drew, I does the internal backup software have the ability to do incremental/differential backups without taking a lot of time? As stated above I have used Sync Toy II on XP and was very disappointed in the results. Sorry for asking what may seem to be a dumb question, but no one I know is running Vista so I have no/very limited exposure to it.

actually this site already has other thread that mention cloudbacko, xcopy and sync if backup through free stuff. When you said you are not satisfied with synctoy, may you share what you are not satisfied with? I find it easy to use.

Hi,
Is your Alaskan friend only backing up data files from the 3 drives (Windows C: boot drive[320GB], 2x160GB)??

You might want to suggest to him/her making Image backups of the C: drive as well [320GB]. Even if their data is all backed up to a secondary and external drive (160GBx2), that doesn't help them recover their Vista if hit by a catastrophic event such as a Windows Blue Screen crash or a nasty ransomware virus.:pirate: I recommend Macrium Reflect and Acronis TrueImage. If the C: drive is a WD or Seagate hard drive, you can go to either WD or Seagate site and download Acronis for free and use it, as long as one of the 2 drives being used to create the image (source or targe) is a WD or Seagate drive.

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

If the C: drive is a WD or Seagate hard drive, you can go to either WD or Seagate site and download Acronis for free and use it, as long as one of the 2 drives being used to create the image (source or targe) is a WD or Seagate drive.

I assume you mean Disc-wizard?

I'd also look for any new firmware but thats just me.

@Norway,
I think so, they keep changing the name on the darn thing (the Acronis versions).

P.S. I like your quote: just finished watching Empire Strikes Back on Blu-Ray tonight for the first time.
:)) Last time I watched it was 10 years ago on VHS. Quite a visual improvement!

Back