Windows 7 Bit the Bullet: Downloaded Windows 7 on my HP Desktop...Please Help

Guarneiri

Why won't Windows 7 work on my HP Pavilion a6720y desktop PC?

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question. Thus far I have not come up with anything. The computer, since I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista, seems to have error after error that was not present before the upgrade.

They are as follows:

Blue screen of death (multiple times)... Not sure when this exactly occurs. Usually on shut down, or when the computer enters into sleep mode.

Cannot connect to wireless (connects then goes to limited access after about half an hour)... This is quite annoying. I've tried just about everything with my router. The strangest thing is that it worked with Vista. With Windows 7, it says that the connection is good. But no dice.

Will not properly shut down... Goes into the shut down sequence but never completes. Usually blue screens at this point.

Please, if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am running the 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate. Thank you in advance for any help. I am lost without my computer.

Last edited:
Always perform a "clean" installation of Windows.
There isn't much you can do about this except backup your files and do a "clean" install of Windows 7

You upgrade from vista, correct?
you need to get the full edition of Windows 7 and pop it in and select "custom install"
From here, you can choose where to install Windows at.
If you don't reformat your hard drive, windows will put your old installation in a folder called windows.old where you will be able to access all of your personal files from your previous Windows installation.
You'll have to reinstall your programs, but the end product should be worth it.
Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you're still unsure.

But I did do the Custom Install. It wiped everything. I didn't upgrade. I backed everything up and custom installed. But now I'm getting all of these issues. Not sure what to do.

OK, sorry for the mis-understanding I've been very tired for about the last week.
Would you mind posting some specs? (Amount of RAM, Processor Type and Speed as well as video card make and model (you can get these by typing "devmgmt.msc" into the start menu.
We'll have to make sure you have the most up to date drivers.

You don't need the full edition, just choose the second option (Advanced) when you install.

You will however, need to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

Back