Windows 7 Bitdefender and memory problems

Flupsie

I am using Windows 7 & office 2010. My Anti-virus program that I use is Bitdefender. From tiime to time when Opening up Excel after running a macro and get a message advising of insufficient resources. I think that Bitdefender may be causing the problem as I never had this problem before

Can anyone advise whether this could be causing the problem and also to advise on a reliable Anti Virus program that does not use a lot of resources?

A free set up recommended by many, especially where people are having major system issues is:

Link Removed due to 404 Error as your main lightweight, bsod friendly Anti virus. Windows Firewall and a weekly scan with the free version of Malwarebytes'. On top of this many will also add SuperAntiSpyware. I personally removed SAS as after a couple of months of running it with a very similar set up as above (I use paid ESET as opposed to MSE), plus a diligent history clean up regime, SAS found three threats, all cookies.

Is the Macro you are running something you set up? Any hints as to what the Macro might do?

Also I found this thread..

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have lots of different macros. It does not matter what macro I run. When I open up a new workbook after running a macro, it comes up with message insufficient resources" I then close down Excel & Re-open workbook. We loaded Office 2010 on another PC operating with Windows 7, but with no other programs and I had no problems with insufficient resorces. I suspect that since loading Bitdefender and the rest of my programs, it mat be Bitdefender that it causing the problem

I also gave up on Bitdefender long ago and now use MSE very effectively on all our PC's.

Hi Ted

Thanks for the reply & advise. I have never ben a fan of Bitdefender, but our IT Manager was and he was totally inflexible. Thank goodness he has resigned and the new Manager is more flexxible and one can reason with him

Hi Ted

How do I access MSE to run a scan? I have selected all programs, but cannot find this

MSE is an app available for free from MS. It is a AV/AM app which runs in real time. If you want to try it, disable the present AV app (Bitdefender) or better yet uninstall it completely using Revo Uninstaller, then do a Google search for Microsoft Security Essentials and download and install it.

edit: download MSE first, then disconnect from the internet to uninstall Bitdefender, then click on the MSE executable file to install it. This will preclude any nasties getting through while you are installing the new AV. Most experts agree that only one AV/AM should be run in real time as running 2 or more can cause conflicts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom