Windows 10 Bitdefender pop up error at restart

James Anning

BD1s.jpg
Every time I reboot my laptop (windows 10 pro), it does the normal 'restarting'
then I get this pop up. If left alone it goes away, and the laptop restarts.

The file BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp in is not readable in notepad.

Any suggestions on resolving this?

Is it a 2017 version of Bitdefender ? The 2017 versions were released last month. Either way in the start menu click on Bitdefender and click on Repair or Uninstall, choose repar and when done if prompted restart your pc. Otherwise open Bitdefender, click on update and restart. Then after that restart setup Bitdefender the way you want. If you have Bitdefender Internet Security or Total Security click on show modules, then click on what looks like a weird circle near the firewall, click on adaptor and set either Ethernet or wifi to home/office and close the Bitdefender window and restart your pc once more.
If you need any more help just ask me, I've used Bitdefender Internet Security for 4 years now.

Well, I can not find bitdefender in Start, and it is not in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features.
I never installed it, not sure how or why it is there.

I'd like to completely remove it. I do not use anti virus of any kind...and, I've NEVER not once had any issues...since 1984, and still going strong. ..I currently have 25+ PC/devices all running on my home network, and never an issue. As you may surmise I'm not a "beginner", yet, I have no idea how or why bitdefender is on my laptop.

Do a search on drive C; for Bitdefender and delete anything that says Bitdefender then. Also be advised Windows Defender which since Windows 8 is antivirus software will always be on if you have Windows 10 and no other antivirus software installed. You'll have to go into Settings>Update and Security>Windows Defender and turn it off every time you start your pc.

I did a search for *defender* on all my drives....hours ago, and nothing comes up. I am on windows 10 pro. Settings>Update and Security>Windows Defender it is turned off, always has been...even if I reboot, its still off.

Hmm, it says defender is turned off because I have an existing AV program. Now, I did formerly have AVG, I used it for other features, not AV. That license expired and I uninstalled it...obviously, its not a clean uninstall I'd bet.

Hi

A couple of programs you might be interested in are Agent Ransack a stand alone search engine and Revo Uninstaller, a program that manages uninstalls and gets rid of the stuff that's left behind.

Both work much batter then the native Windows apps.
And both are free.

AVG is known to resist being uninstalled, unfortuantly it's hard to go back and find the leftovers after the uninstall is done without reinstalling the program and then running Revo.

It doesn't have to be actual files that are left behind, it can just be registry entries.

You could start the AVG install and go far enough to see it's default install path, the look and see if there is anything already there.

how to uninstall AVG completely? - Forums

How to uninstall AVG software | AVG Support

Mike

Last edited:
In Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 Windows Defender is av protection and it's turned on automatically, if you don't have other av software.
If use generally use a decent 3rd party av program, you generally have to download a removal tool from them, as add/remove programs doesn't remove all of it.

I found it...spybot. Spybot uses bitdefender...I knew "I" did not install it. I've been an Oracle developer for over 20 yrs and into PC's longer. I have 12 + physical PC and 12+ more VM's, devices etc running 24/7 at home (for fun of it)...I've have never used any type of Antivirus (cept for spybot, last 4 yrs, if you can call that an AV?)...and, I've never had a virus. (This is where I hear "well your lucky"...hmm? could anyone be that lucky?) Spybot used to be decent, I have less faith in it daily.

As for this fix on my issue....Spybot uses bitdefendeer.

Bitdefender Threat Scanner.dmp

That link said to first see if spybot file "SDAV.dll" is missing. If it is missing or is NOT 32K in size, go to missing files page and replace it.

Mine was only 12K in size, not 32K. I replaced the corrupt 12k sized dll with the 32k, sized dll from their site...reboot...and oh man...same ole issue.
Then I thought...duh, the 12k dll is still in memory....reboot it now, and check.

Three more reboots...and NO more issues!

Hi

A couple of programs you might be interested in are Agent Ransack a stand alone search engine and Revo Uninstaller, a program that manages uninstalls and gets rid of the stuff that's left behind.

Both work much batter then the native Windows apps.
And both are free.

AVG is known to resist being uninstalled, unfortuantly it's hard to go back and find the leftovers after the uninstall is done without reinstalling the program and then running Revo.

It doesn't have to be actual files that are left behind, it can just be registry entries.

You could start the AVG install and go far enough to see it's default install path, the look and see if there is anything already there.

how to uninstall AVG completely? - Forums

How to uninstall AVG software | AVG Support

Mike
Thanks very much, I'll be adding those tools to my bag of tricks for certain.!

yep … i had also used both ad-aware and spybot for several years … in time, they started becoming "bloatware" … figured it was time to say g'bye to those sentries. there'd been talk on the 'net about the relations between spybot and bitdefender … a few others have had identical error-messages as you.

that there was a fair bit of trouble-shooting on your part, james … job well done! thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation … in fact, by sharing your methodology above, you may have inadvertently assisted someone in the future. regards.

Thank you for this. I just had the same problem, running Windows 8.1, and your solution fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom