Black screen - how to reenable graphic adapter in device manager?

zony

Hi

I accidentally disabled graphic adapter in device manager and got black screen.

I've tried to reactivate graphic adapter through:

windows key + ctr + shift + B
boot with windows installation disc
boot with windows recovery usb
boot with F8 to enter BIOS settings

All methods failed.
How do I enable graphic adapter with a black screen?
Is it possible to activate graphic adapter by accessing hard drive with another computer?

To boot into Safe Mode in Windows 11, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer and keep pressing the F8 key repeatedly during the boot process.
  2. You should see the Windows Boot Manager screen with several options.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select the "Safe Mode" option and press Enter.

This should allow you to boot into Windows to re-enable the adapter or make the changes needed for your system to boot properly.

Hi Mike, thanx for quick response.
This is an old laptop with windows 8.1.
F8 does not work. Also tried shift + F8. Still black screen

This is a problem where they removed F8 to get into Safe Mode when Windows 8/8.1 came out. What you can do is try to interrupt the boot process 3 times when Windows is starting up by powering down the system while it is booting. While not really recommended, if you do this 3 times and the system fails to boot, it will start Advanced Recovery Mode which will allow you to get into safe mode. The alternative would be to use a USB flash drive with the Windows 8.1 system recovery image on it.

Once interrupting the boot process 3 times, you should be able to navigate to Troubleshoot -> Advanced options. Click on "Startup Settings" and go to "Restart". Choose Option 4. Enable Safe Mode. Navigate to Device Manager and you should see an option to re-enable the disabled graphics adapter or at least see what is going on in Device Manager in terms of what happened to the display adapter on there. You can try to repair the display drivers or completely re-install them from here if an enable option isn't present.

Tried several times to interrupt boot process 3 times in order to start Advanced Recovery Mode but without success
Unfortunately I do not have a system recovery image.

Tried to boot Linux and Windows 8.1 installation USB without success.

Is it possible to connect laptop hard drive on my desktop in order to change any settings?
I've read it is possible to install Linux on one computer and then boot another computer with that hard drive.

Use Rufus to create the bootable USB media. You will need a USB flash drive

If you have a Windows 8 Installation Disc or USB drive, you can access Windows 10 Advanced Options menu through the installation media.

Plug in the Windows 8 installation CD/DVD disc or USB flash drive to your computer, and boot the computer from the inserted DVD disc or USB drive in BIOS.
After you enter into Windows Setup screen, choose computer language and other preferences and click Next.
Next click Repair your computer. Advanced Startup Options window will open.

Already tried to boot installation Windows 8 usb created with Rufus. Computer does not seem to boot from USB and screen is black.
Tried to reset BIOS by removing CMOS battery + laptop battery and pressing start button. When I boot with usb, screen is still black.

Already tried to boot installation Windows 8 usb created with Rufus. Computer does not seem to boot from USB and screen is black.
Tried to reset BIOS by removing CMOS battery + laptop battery and pressing start button. When I boot with usb, screen is still black.
What type of laptop is this? Typically you can access the BIOS or boot menu by pressing F12 continously as the system boots up or F1/ESC keys to try to access the BIOS and change the boot order. I would not recommend resetting the BIOS unless absolutely necessary, but it looks like that already happened.

Back