Windows 8 WINDOWS 8 - NVIDIA GPU is Unknown in device manager (all of sudden)

finalmakerr

Message from device manager:
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Message from NVIDIA Installer:
NVIDIA Installer failed.
Graphics Driver 340.52 Failed.

Description:
After my pc freezed all of sudden while running emulators (i also had an auto windows update few hours earlier), windows refuse to detect my GPU and NVIDIA installer keep failing...
Luckily i have two GPU but i cannot use the NVIDIA one due to this issue.

ASUS Tech Support
Little talk with ASUS Support and they asked if i had a critical windows update recently.
They asked me to try a system restore, which seem to solve the issue (i could see the GPU card but only for some minutes).
Now after that i being asked to format the pc.
This is why i write this thread.
I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance!

All of my systems, including a GT 750M, are still running the 331 version of the driver, so it doesn't appear Windows is yet offering the later one. Did you install it yourself, or do you think Windows did that for you?

You could try uninstalling the device in Device Manager, and checking the box to remove ALL drivers for the device. Then let Windows redo the driver, or download an earlier one yourself from the Nvidia site.

If it was a recent update, do you know about when the suspect update was released? Today all I see in one Security update.

I had an ASUS system for a couple of weeks and it came with an ATI GPU, but it was probably a different model from yours.

Edit: Are you using a Logitech Mouse? My Nvidia system seems to have a problem with one of the utilities for it. When I try to change the display configuration, it requires shutting down of that process, a Logitech Event Manger type of utility.

Thank you for your reply Saltgrass!

I been told by ASUS support that windows update cause this kind of issue recently.
I seem to maybe solve the problem.
After i used system restore - issue seem to vanish but after few minutes the device manager couldn't find my GPU card again.
Then i deleted some NVIDIA folders in program files and program data.
I also used CCleaner to clean the registry a little.
I can't remember what else but problem suddenly solved...

I will only be sure in a couple of days, will let you know.

About your question, i do use logitech mouse and the setpoint isn't working well with Windows 8 (few buttons are not working).

Back
Top Bottom