Windows Vista Black Screen white cursor during install(unique)

dev0916

i put in the vista anytime upgrade disc, it says loading files, when it loads it goes straight to a black screen with mouse. before it got this bad it use to make it up to the first install instructions( language ect.) then it would only load the background image, and then where i am now, the hard drives are empty, no os, use to have vista. any suggestions? ive looked everywhere and have only found solutions that end with using the vista boot disc,

also, i have used more than 1 type of recovery/ install disc, all end up with the black screen white mouse. i have a quad processor in a gateway i bought at best buy. they were no help. i also know that it is not my dvd drive because i borrowed a portable dvd drive from a friend and had the same results.

Last edited:
i put in the vista anytime upgrade disc, it says loading files, when it loads it goes straight to a black screen with mouse. before it got this bad it use to make it up to the first install instructions( language ect.) then it would only load the background image, and then where i am now, the hard drives are empty, no os, use to have vista. any suggestions? ive looked everywhere and have only found solutions that end with using the vista boot disc,

also, i have used more than 1 type of recovery/ install disc, all end up with the black screen white mouse. i have a quad processor in a gateway i bought at best buy. they were no help. i also know that it is not my dvd drive because i borrowed a portable dvd drive from a friend and had the same results.

Have you tried changing the boot order so that CD/DVD is first? You'll still be able to perform the upgrade..

So have you ever had anything on this machine before? I'm sorry if it sounds like an odd question but I'm just trying to get anything I can on this..

So have you ever had anything on this machine before? I'm sorry if it sounds like an odd question but I'm just trying to get anything I can on this..

yes, i had vista home prem, then on my second hd i had vista ultimate, after i got ultimate, i deleted every file from my previous(original) install, except at startup it still gave me two options to start up vista. however now they are both gone, hd both were wiped out.

ps i had both these installs on my machine for about a year and a half, so i doubt they were the cause.

If I remember correctly... Doing a fresh install using an upgrade disk is fine.... As long as a copy of windows is already on the HDD. If it isn't, set up will ask you to place a full copy of windows in the drive for validation. Once completed the install will then continue.. Now you have wiped your drives yes? I wonder why it isn't asking you for validation or perhaps the installation isn't getting far enough?

Man....and you say you have definitely changed the boot order in the bios?

Back