Blank screen on resume

I've seen lots of similar problems people are having with Windows 7 (and Vista) when they try to wake up their computer after sleep or hibernation, but none of them seem to match my problem. I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with a new, very recent, clean install of Windows 7 Professional. All the updates are done and all the drivers are up to date. But when I try to use it after it's been on screensaver for a while, it goes to the log-in page, allows me to type in my password and then goes to a black (blank?) screen. Like everyone else reports, it's clearly still running and the fan is operating at full speed. Nothing I do after that works other than to hold the power button until it shuts down. It reboots and works fine after that. When this first started happening I entered NEVER on all choices for sleep or hibernation whenever it is plugged in. But the problem is still happening. Is there a fix out there for this?

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Hi theMucker. Welcome to the forums. Please check here for more discussion on this. Especially the part about disabling PCI-E Link State Power Management under Power Options in Control Panel:

Check to make sure all network media sharing is turned off in your settings as well.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.