Windows 7 blank screen on startup

tubbzor

so tonight I was playing around and decided to try to dual boot linux and windows 7..i was booting linux from my flashdrive and it went through the installation process and after the restart now it only shows a blank screen with a pulsing underscore at the top. i can access my bios and tried restoring defaults with no luck. can anyone help me fix this?

tubbzor have you tried booting from the windows 7 disk and running the repair option? Another way might be to press F8 whilst booting and get into the advanced boot options.

tubbzor have you tried booting from the windows 7 disk and running the repair option? Another way might be to press F8 whilst booting and get into the advanced boot options.

my laptop didn't come with a windows7 disk..and pressing f8 while booting did nothing. When I press f2 while booting it gets me into bios but thats all thats worked.

update: i can boot into a trial version of linux from my usb drive but still nothing on windows 7. it should still be on my computer because the install of linux i chose was a "dual boot" install and wasnt suppose to mess with windows. the only thing it took was one of my harddrives which was empty.

so i think i tried to install linux on my C: harddrive which might account for windows not working...will this repair disk over write the hard drive again?

will this repair disk over write the hard drive again?
Nope. Basically it gives you an alternate external means of booting your computer (since your PC won't boot from its' hard drive) from which you can take advantage of several repair options. Make sure you have your computer BIOS configured to boot from CD/DVD.

From the download link that kemical provided.

What it does: The Windows 7 Recovery Disc can be used to access a system recovery menu, giving you options of using System Restore, Complete PC Backup, automated system repair, and a command-line prompt for manual advanced recovery.
What it doesn't do: You cannot use the Windows 7 Recovery Disc to re-install Windows - it only fixes (not replaces!) Windows.
Why you need it: If you bought your PC from a major retailer, you didn't get this CD with your hefty purchase.

Back
Top Bottom