Windows 10 Blocked from transferring files.

Jeff2125

I am trying to transfer about 7GB of data (photos) to an external hdd that holds 400GB. As per some instructions on the web I formatted the drive to NTFS and exFat nevertheless I still can't make this transfer.

1647696571685.png

Which is the source directory of the pictures you are trying to copy?
When exactly this message appears?
Be more specific if you want to get an answer.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

When I drag the Photo file to the external HDD or when I select all photos and drag the to the hdd.
Thanks.

Do not drag the Photos folder. This is a system folder and that's probably the reason you get the error message. Instead, go to the real source folder, select all subfolders containing the pictures you want to move, right click on the selection, click on Properties to check again the total size of the selected folders, close the properties window, right click again on the selection, click copy, then go to the external hdd, right click on the folder where you want to copy the files and finally click paste.
Dragging a system folder can have unforeseeable results. I almost never use the drag/drop facility, but usually only copy/paste.
Regarding the format of your hdd, nowadays it is best to have it formatted as NTFS in order to be able to save files bigger than 2GB on it, like video files. If you do not plan to save video files or movies on the hdd, but only pictures, then you can format it as exFAT.

I tried what you suggested but without success. Drive is set to NTFS, also tried exFat. Getting the same message. I did notice that although the size of the file is 7 GB during the attempted paste it said that it was trying to load 14GB.
I thought that perhaps because these files are in One Drive and in the cloud I would "return them" to my picture folder on PC. The problem then was not enough room on my disk. I tried deleting some apps from C: but could only remove a few. Can apps be moved to an external drive?
Thanks.

First of all, apps can not be moved in an external drive.
Second, I have a question: why is your Google Photos folder under the OneDrive folder, as it can be seen from the path of your photos:
C:\Users\jhi36\OneDrive\Pictures
\Google Photos
As I understand it, the OneDrive folder is the sync folder of your Microsoft account and under it you put the Google Photos folder which is probably in sync with your Google account. Or am I wrong? How do photos get into the Google Photos? Are you trying to back them up twice, once on your Google drive and second on your OneDrive?
Now, do you intend to use the external hdd always connected to your computer? If yes, then you could change the location of your OneDrive sync folder from C: to the external hdd, I think. This way, you could free up a lot of space on your system hardrive C:.

You´re correct, I am saving those Google drive folders in two places (Google Drive and One Drive) due to not knowing better. Of the 85GB on my One Drive only 1.5 GB are on the disk so moving that to an external drive would help but probably not enough. I considered getting an external drive, but for the same amount of money, more or less, I can get a new SDD for the laptop so I can transfer (clone?) everything including OS. Thanks again.

I understand. I also think a new SSD is the best option and the cheapest, not only from the cost point of vue, but also convenience. Just buy the best SSD on the market (not one of the professional ones, if you can't afford), you won't regret.
I would recommend to divide the new SSD in two partitions, the first only for system files and programs and the second only for data. This way your data will be better protected and in case of system disk failure you won't loose any data.
In order to be able to clone your entire existing drive, the first partition on the new SSD should be at least the same size as your old hardrive. After the clone operation, you will be able to move your data files and sync folders to the second partition. If the remaining size of the first partition will be to big after moving the data files, you will always be able to resize it.
Be aware that not all data folders may be moved by a copy/paste operation, especially the system ones, like My Documents. For this kind of folders you should follow these instructions: Configuration of the My Documents folder
The relevant part of the article, for you, is the second one entitled "How to Change the My Documents Folder Storage Location".
See this article also: Relocating default user folders on Windows 10

Good luck!

Back