Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death Survival Guide: Every Error Explained

Adamsappleone

U.S.Navy D.A.V.
Picture this: It's late at night, you're sitting at your computer playing a game or working on a project when, suddenly, Windows freezes completely. All your work is gone, and you find a blue screen full of gibberish staring back at you. Windows is dead, Jim, at least until you reboot it. You have no choice but to sigh loudly, shake your fist at Bill Gates and angrily push the reset button. You've just been visited by the ghost of windows crashed: the Blue Screen of Death.

BSOD_PCs.png

Also known as the BSoD, the Blue Screen of Death appears when Windows crashes or locks up. It's actually a Windows "stop" screen, and is designed to do two things: tell you the reason for the error, and to calm your nerves, hence the use of the color blue (studies show it has a relaxing effect on people). Though Blue Screens are difficult to decipher, all the information you need to figure out what caused it is right there in front of you in blue and white—and that's where we come in. We're going to show you how to dissect the blue screen error details, so you can fix the problem that's causing them.
Complete Guide contains 4 pages: Blue Screen of Death Survival Guide: Every Error Explained | Maximum PC

Thanks for the link, Adamsappleone!!!!!!! My computer keeps getting the blue screen every time I open my laptop in the morning. It goes to the blue screen and it gets really annoying after 5 times. That link really helped me!!!

Hey all,

Thought I'd give this thread a bump, due to the abundance of BSOD topics.
You may be able to correct your issue yourself by looking over this guide.

Hope it helps

Don

Last edited:
This happened to me sometimes... I remeber this happened when I was playing a game... but I don't think the game has been the cause of the BSOD... But the point is that the BSOD disappeared very fast and I couldn't see anything.

Is there any option that makes the BSOD doesn't wait for me?

Until now, this hasn't occurred again, but I try to keep my computer updated and working fine and I want to be prepared to the BSOD if it happens again.

ignispider:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Yes, if you want the Blue Screen to remain on your monitor until you force a shut down and reboot.
Type
advanced system settings
into the start orb search box and hit enter
on the advanced tab in the frame labeled Startup and Recovery click the Settings button
and then uncheck the box next to Automatically restart and OK your way back out of there
That should do it.
Regards
Randy

I've never used the BlueScreenView tool Titanic mentions. However, some of my colleagues at work have and they think it does a good job. Personally I'm partial to Microsoft's Debugging Tools for Windows, also known as "WinDbg." I've had great success using WinDbg to find the "guilty party" when a BSOD occurs.

The main thing is you get it running. :)

Best of wishes and luck and success and everything.

Hi, I have the same problem my pc shuts down unexpectly a lot ! and i see the midump file with programe named BlueScreanViewer and this is what i find. Please Help me with this i can handle it every single tame my pc to shut downs unexpectly.
==================================================
Dump File : 030413-38267-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4.3.2013 г. 19:21:37 ч.
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc000021a
Parameter 1 : 0x982e0e48
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0xc0000001
Parameter 4 : 0x001004ac
Caused By Driver : Unknown_Module_504f2e4e
Caused By Address : Unknown_Module_504f2e4e+17234605
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrlICE.exe+dcd10
Stack Address 1 : ntkrlICE.exe+2d7263
Stack Address 2 : ntkrlICE.exe+3295d9
Stack Address 3 : ntkrlICE.exe+1dbc3a
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030413-38267-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 131 072
==================================================

Hi Nikki,

I believe this is not the proper thread to post your request in. If you want people to assist you and see your request better, you'll want to make your own thread on this forum.

3 tips to help repair this:
1: Run the system in safe mode, update it and scan for viruses
2: use system restore to take your PC back to a more stable time
3: back all the important stuff, format, run Darik's boot & Nuke (optional), then restore the copy of windows you had, this is a last resort, also, google the stop error code 0xc000021a and look at microsoft's support base

ntkrlICE.exe is likely a kenel hack to get around the 4 gB RAM limitation in 32 bit Windows.
Appears to be a violation of forum rules.

@usasma: After a Google search this exe seems to be a bad boy. Caution, caution and, Nikki LaziCh, do make a thorough scan of your computer. I don't want to get the plague!

Microsoft doesn't seem to have direct information about it, but it seems to be related with STOP error 0x0000007E, iaStor.sys, a Dell issue.

Could you please provide dump files i.e., open explorer, search Computer with *.dmp

All I dare to say right now is, have the latest Dell drivers.

Help plz
I get the blue screen error : 0x0000007E 4f29d59c , i have dell inspiron 7720 ,what should i do ?
Mahmoud please create a new thread in one of our bsod forums (the windows 7 one is here: http://windowsforum.com/forums/windows-7-blue-screen-of-death-bsod.275/ )
Please use the app found in this thread to post your info:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

The reason we ask this is because sometimes troubleshooting can take a while or at least a few pages of questions and answers so it's best to have your own thread.

Back