Windows 7 Blue-screen when playing CS:GO

Sandusky

Hello.
A little over a week ago my computer blue-screened in the middle of a CS:GO game. It now keeps blue-screening after about 20-30 minutes of playing and it's getting really annoying!!! It never happens in any other games, just CS:GO.
The blue-screen message says something about display drivers, I never catch exactly what it says, it goes away too quickly. I used WhoCrashed to try and find out what went wrong and it gives the same error for each crash:

On Sat 07/11/2015 19:39:33 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110715-56160-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xCCAC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800A8C44E0, 0xFFFFF88004010CAC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver:atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Before it started to blue-screen I removed the dust from my case, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do any damage to any of the components.
I've checked and my video card driver is up to date, and beyond that I don't really have any idea of what to do. I hope I've given enough information for you to spot any issues.
Can you help me???

Hi,
looking at what you posted your graphics driver suffered whats called a 'TDR' which basically means the driver tried to reset but for some reason couldn't. Now the best way for us to help is to read the actual dump files created when the machine bsod's. These are found in a folder marked 'Minidump' in the main Windows folder. If you can't find the folder or no dump files are present then you'll need to change your settings so that they are produced when you bsod:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

This thread will also help:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Ok, thanks for the reply. I found the dump files, but I cannot open them. I also tried getting this W7F diagnostic tool that was mentioned on the link you posted, but it says not responding whenever I run it.

Here are the dump files from the last few blue-screens. Even though I can't open them, I guess I can still post them here!

Attachments

• dump files.zip
    115.8 KB · Views: 267
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006ac2010, fffff88002c13cac, 0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+ccac )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
so three of the dump files were like the above of which i explained about earlier. Did you run the application i linked to, boot into safe mode, remove the gpu driver and then re-install once back in the desktop? If not try that, links are below.
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.5.1.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
This will clean out any left over crap from previous installs. Once removed then re-install the latest whql driver.

Also your other drivers are old. Use the drivers found on your motherboard support site to update them all:
Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

Try that and see how you go. Post any new dump files.

Hello,
I didn't try that app, I'll have a go now. Do the motherboard drivers also need to be done in safe mode?

Well I was able to play a game without it crashing! I think you've fixed it! Thank-you so much, I couldn't take much more blue-screening!
I'd like to say this probably the best forum I've been on, I posted on a bunch and of the half that replied, none of them were useful!
Thanks again!

Hi,
thats great to hear and thank you for the kind words. If the issue should reappear then please post again. All the best for the future.. :)

Well, unfortunately, it happened again. Whilst playing, my PC froze and it said the display drivers had stopped responding, but had recovered, and just now it blue-screened when I was just on my desktop. Here's the dump file.

Attachments

• Dump File.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 279
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8006eb2110, fffff8800448ecac, 0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmpag.sys ( atikmpag+ccac )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
same bugcheck as the last and may mean that something more serious is at fault than just a driver. Try removing the driver just installed with the DDU (Display driver uninstaller) and install the latest beta driver from AMD. I know one was released only the other day so give it a try.
I forgot to mention that if your overclocking the card at all then please stop.

I see your running AVG AV. This is known on occasion to cause issues so please remove and run MSE as this is ultra stable. You can always go back to AVG.
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Please check the graphic cards Vram by running this test:
HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES

Please check for stability by running the app below for 30 -60mins watch the cards temps as well.
Stress test:
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
Check temps using:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Your motherboard drivers still need updating especially the chipset/Intel drivers. Try running Intel's driver update utility:
Intel® Driver Update Utility
Make sure you right click the start up icon and run as admin.

Can you post the make and model of your:

Graphics card

PSU (Power supply unit)

Post any new dump files

Ok, i have an AMD XFX Radeon 7870 and my PSU is a 500W Corsair CX500.
I'll try the rest of your suggestions, but I'll have to post results tomorrow as I've got to go in a few minutes.

Ok, I've tried a few of these things such as changing from AVG and updating a few motherboard drivers and the problem seems to be fixed, I've played a number of games since without blue-screening. I'll give it a bit longer and post any new dump files, but I think I'm good now! Thanks again.

It happened again. A windows message popped up to say that the display drivers stopped responding, but recovered, then my PC blue-screened. I haven't run a stress test with FurMark yet, so I'll do that now.

Attachments

• 111415-32432-01.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 260
Also, my PC now asks me for permission before running most programs and has been generally slower than usual recently.

Back