Windows Vista boot.ini/dual boot problem

Zan.exe

OK, new problem. I have searched high and low ALL DAY for how to add Vista to my boot.ini file. I know how to access it, and tried to write a syntax for loading Vista, but when I select it at startup, it goes blank and stays there. I can select XP fine and it works. The only info that showed up on searches show how to use BCDedit in vista, or how to add previous versions of windows, because Vista doesn't use boot.ini anymore. No one expects me to dual boot XP onto a PC with vista. Here is my boot.ini file:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[[URL=\"http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=408392#\"]Operating systems[/URL]]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=\"Microsoft Windows XP Professional\" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=\"Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate\" /fastdetect

Want to delete windows 7 from dual boot

Hello sir,

I was using Windows XP SP3 initially. Later I installed windows 7 evaluation pack in a different drive

Now I want to remove windows 7 and also want to remove the boot selection screen which ask for me to choose between XP and windows 7

I have the boot.ini as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Right now my boot screen offers me to boot in windows 7 by default. i.e after 30 seconds it starts loading windows 7

I am not a pro but still i guess something i missing here

Please let me know what to do to solve my problem

Also let me know what to edit in the boot.ini file

At least if i could make windows XP the default one that also would do my work.

Thanks & Regards

Niladri

Thanks a tonne Celestra :)

The link is useful
I am able to get rid of the boot screen selection.
Now it directly boot win XP.

But the later problem still remains

The windows 7 folder cannot be deleted

Do you have any other solution other than formating the drive that contain windows 7 folders?

This drive contain huge data other than windows 7 and taking a backup and then formatting is quite tiresome

Please let me know

Thanks & Regards

Niladri

Problem With Removing Windows 7 Folders

How to uninstall Windows 7 in a Dual Boot system This article talks a little more in depth about manually removing files-folders from Windows Seven. Hope It Helps... (I don't know which is worse, reformatting one partition or manually deleting files and folders from Windows 7 ?)

Last edited:
Hello Celestra,

This worked smoothly as well.
Except for the Program Files folder.

For this I manually had to rename the folder (surprisingly it didn't denied) from Windows XP environment and then run the entire process again from the beginning i.e. booting for the windows 7 disk, going to command prompt and then able to delete the folder.

Thank You.

Back