Windows 7 Boot Manager is missing; after recovery using Acronis backup

niebling

Hi All, I NEED SOME HELP of course... I used BCD and fouled up my system... I went back to a clean disk and created a primary partition using the whole disk space ( I used GParted from a linux bootable USB)... I'm running linux now. Using Acronis I restored my C drive with the MBR to the C partition that I created and Acronis reported that the operation was successful, but upon booting and selecting the HDD as the boot device the system reports that the 'Boot manager is missing'. From what I remember about my old partition table, it was pretty standard. It had a C and D system partitions, and OEM partition which is now erased, and another 200 MB partition labeled MBR... at least I think it was a separate partition. I can't remember. I don't have a windows 7 install disk becuz' lenovo didn't provide one, but the full backup of the C drive and the MBR is completely accessible via my DVD drive. I did that yesterday before mucking with my HDD. Can anybody help? I am trying to avoid trying to appropriate windows 7 media. The present C partition is flagged as the boot partition and I set it active using the Acronis restore routine. Thanks in advance, Ken [email protected]

Hello Ken!

Thank you for finding time to share your experience with the others! Let me introduce myself: my name is Yana, and I'm writing you on behalf of Acronis Customer Central.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience you've faced. It's hard to say for sure, but looks like the issue was caused by the lack of main boot partition:
Windows 7 has a bit different struction: right now partition C is no longer responsible for boot process, this role was given to 100 Mb partition.
In order to fix the problem I'd advise you to contact Microsoft Support directly, I'm sure they will be glad to resolve the issue for you!

Please also keep in mind that we will always be glad to help you with all your questions on our Acronis Forum - feel free to join us!

Should you have any further questions or concerns - do not hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience!

Thank you,
--
Best regards,
Yana | Acronis Customer Central

If you set your system to see hidden and system files, do you show a boot folder and bootmgr file in your C:\ directory?

You can download a Win 7 recovery disk from Neosmart Technologies. If you get it burned as an image, it should boot and allow you to do a Startup Repair which might recover the install. It may take up to 3 times to get the normal boot restored.

Yes you can try that Neosmart hopefully. Been awhile since I done it and can't remember off the top of noggin exact dos commands would do this from cmd prompt instead of repair

Vista and later create a 100-200mb partition which you should make sure you backup even with Acronis. You need both if any changing was done
When setting up partitions you can eliminate that small part and combine it into your master drive btw

Back
Top Bottom