bootable OS

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I've been playing around with Ubuntu 12.10 that has been installed on a usb and using it as a bootable OS. I must confess to the simplicity of Ubuntu and the ease it took me to get comfortable with it in such a short time. I was flying around in it in less than 10 minutes. Setting up my wireless wasn't bad either, just a bit awkward but painless.

It makes a change, messing with a Linux OS from time to time.
If you want to see a Live Linux really hum, bass, have a look at live knoppix. It is one I use for fault finding, when the chips are really down. It is so easy to manipulate between Windows and Linux, with it.

It makes a change, messing with a Linux OS from time to time.
If you want to see a Live Linux really hum, bass, have a look at live knoppix. It is one I use for fault finding, when the chips are really down. It is so easy to manipulate between Windows and Linux, with it.

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try too.

I have my problems with the Ubuntu Unity UI. After years of using Ubuntu, I switched to Mint Mate which I find a lot easier to deal with. I use it as my second OS now - especially for internet work because it is so much safer and faster than Windows.

I installed it under VMware Player and moved it to an external 60GB SSD which is attached via USB3. That 60GB Mushkin SSD cost me $59.95 and is a lot faster than any other external device option - in fact performance is appr. the same as if I was running it from my internal M4 SSD.

I am in the process of making a series of tutorials on how to install it and set it up. I will post them when I am done. I have a tutorial here on when I set up Zorin that way, but you have to make a volume adjustment because the video volume is low. See the Note above the video.

My problem with things like really Linux, is the learning curve, and terms used. Ubuntu just fit the bill for me. And the price is right too!!! Have a good Easter and be well.

Back