Windows 7 Bootmgr is missing after bios update

PhunkzV2

Hi guys, i'm really hoping someone can help me out.

I recently used the @bios utility from Gigabyte to update my motherboard bios. I've used this plenty of times in the past on Vista 64 bit with no problems. However this is the first time i've used it with Windows 7. It went through the usual steps and the system rebooted, on reboot I got the "Bootmgr is missing" message.

I've googled for a while and tried these solutions:

Link Removed - Invalid URL
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/

I've also tried using the command prompt with these commands:

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Nothing at all has helped, I still get the same message on each boot. The only way i'm managing to boot at the moment is with the Windows 7 disk in the drive.

I could really use some help here, I know a format/clean install is an option but this would be such a damn headache so looking for something else first. Thanks in advance :)

It is none of my business, I guess, and not helpful to this thread. But curiosity kills " recently used the @bios utility from Gigabyte to update my motherboard bios. I've used this plenty of times in the past on Vista 64 bit with no problems" Why are you finding a need for that, or are you referring to several motherboards?

Do you have two hard drives installed? If so, maybe it is trying to boot to the wrong one.

If not that, were you running them as ACHI and the bios update changed them to IDE or vice versa..

It is none of my business, I guess, and not helpful to this thread. But curiosity kills " recently used the @bios utility from Gigabyte to update my motherboard bios. I've used this plenty of times in the past on Vista 64 bit with no problems" Why are you finding a need for that, or are you referring to several motherboards?

Habit I guess, update my bios whenever a new one comes out, @bios has always been a decent program to do that for me :)

Do you have two hard drives installed? If so, maybe it is trying to boot to the wrong one.

If not that, were you running them as ACHI and the bios update changed them to IDE or vice versa..

Yes, I do have two hard drives, I don't know if I was running them as ACHI, what exactly does this mean? They are both SATA drives.

Also, I did a reinstall last night to try and remedy the problem, it still exists :(

Right guys, problem solved...when I did the BIOS update it reversed the hard drive priority order, the system was trying to boot from my backup drive. Thanks Saltgrass, your post made me realise this was the simple thing causing the problem.

Bootmgr is missing

Thanks everyone for your help in this thread. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and flashed the bios using the @bios utility. After rebooting I got the message "BOOTMGR IS MISSING". I have used it loads of times with no issues. I followed instructions at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/ and this didn't work but gave me a few ideas. Anyway in the DOS window I used bootrec /RebuildBcd and noticed my windows instance was on drive G. I unplugged all my drives and rebooted the PC. I then plugged just the drive with my O/S on and all was fine. I then connected all my drives back and all is now fine. Hope this helps anyone else.

Back