Windows 7 "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart"

Nazsha

Hi,
I use my laptop every day, to do school work, so I was appalled to see that it would not start up this morning. I use Windows 7, and I have a single hard drive that I had just partitioned last night, to separate my general files from my Steam games. All went well, but now I can't seem to start it up. I have made some researches, but I don't know if I have in my possession the disk I need to boot from: I have three CD's: Alienware Drivers and Utilities, Alienware M15X Resource DVD, and an Alienware Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. On that CD, it says "The Software included on this Recovery DVD-ROM was preinstalled on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your Alienware computer system". I'm guessing this is the CD I'm supposed to boot from to repair Windows, but I've tried inserting it, pressing F2 while the computer loads to open the BIOS menu and booting from the CD. However, it does not seem to change anything in the BIOS screen.
Can you help me? Do you need more information?
Thank you,
Nazsha

UPDATE: I can now boot from my Windows CD, I just had to change the order of the devices in the BIOS menu. But now, it doesn't give me the option do repair Windows, just to reinstall it!

Last edited:
After you boot to an install DD, on the page after you select language, there is an option on the left side to "Repair your Computer".

F8 during boot should have also put you in a Repair scenario, and most laptops use the F12 key to allow selection of boot devices.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you repartition your drive? It would seem logical this was related to your problem.

Hi

If you could get into your computer you could use EasyBCD to fix the boot configuration.
As Saltgrass said you probably changed the boot config. somehow when you partitioned your drive. Is Widows still on the C:\ partition?

When you insert the Recovery DVD will it allow you to chose the option to do a repair install?

If so this is one way to repair your startup configuration when you can't get into Windows Boot Repair.

It only takes about a half hour or so.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

This shouldn't change any of your software or personal preferences or delete any data.

Mike

Back