Windows 10 Brightness Problem with windows 10

Paran

I have just installed windows on a fresh build. However, I cannot change the brightness. I have already tried updating the drivers and using the microsoft one. I am a bit stuck.

Hi

What kind of video card do you have?
Most video cards manufacturers have a utility installed with the drivers that allow you to change pretty much any settings.

On my computer I open Nvidia Control Panel to change my video settings.

Mike

More importantly, do you have a laptop or a tablet computer? If not, the Brightness setting is NOT available in W10 Action Center, or if it's there, it's greyed out and you can't change anything. If it's a desktop PC, then Mike's suggestion of finding your video card control panel or downloading it from your video card maker's site (ATI, Radeon, Nvidia, etc.) to control this feature is necessary.

If you are on a laptop/tablet, right-click or swipe from the lower right on the Notifications icon in the system tray (to the right of the time & date), hover your mouse on the Notifications icon, and click on the OPEN ACTION CENTER item on the task menu that shows up. In the Action Center mini-tiles that show up on the lower-right portion of your desktop, you'll see one that has the Brightness Icon (I can't show that one unless I take a screenshot), but it will say either 100% on the tile next to a tiny light-bulb icon if your screen display is currently set to 100%; alternatively if you've changed it using function or windows-key-logo combo keys with the function keys (laptop only) it might display at 0%, 25%, 50%, or 75%. In these cases, clicking successively on the Brightness mini-tile with your mouse incrementally changes the screen brightness on your display instantly!!:ohyea: Cycling through, starting at 100%, it would be 0% (dimmest display), 25%, 50%, 75%, and finally clicking again will bring you full circle back to 100% brightness!:up: This works perfectly on my 8 year old Sony Vaio laptop.:)

Desktop PCs are much more difficult to change this setting on, as we said you need to find or download your video card maker's control panel utility in order to change this; W10 won't allow you to do it. If you have a laptop/tablet, we just solved your problem!;)

Best,:chuncky:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

.....I do not have a graphics card, so drivers will be useless.
No, than your graphics are part of your motherboard or processor, and you also need a driver for it.

So, as BBJ asked, please tell us more of your computer.

Did you find the Action Center?

Motherboard is a MSI Krait Gaming Z170 motherboard. Processor is an i5-6600k and I have a nzxt kraken x52 cooler. I found the action center, but the brightness button is grey.

You are using an I5 processor. Included is an Intel Graphics display adapter. You need a driver for it.
- Right click on the start button in the bottom left corner of the dektop and select Device Manager
- Click on Display adapters, it opens and you will see the Intel Graphics
- Right click on the Intel Graphics and select properties
You should see an Intel driver, I see version 20.19.15.4531, if not update the driver.

Hope it helps

One thing:
Go again to the Action Center and see whether the tablet mode is disabled (if it is enabled you can't change the brightnes, see posting #4 of our friend BBJ; look for a tile with a tablet and a hand)

The desktop monitor probably doesn't support adjusting the brightness via Windows. If you go into control panel > Power Options and there is no brightness slider then it doesn't support it. You'll need to physically lower the brightness on the monitor itself.

Back