Windows 10 Bring on the next build.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
A confession. There is so little major difference, between Windows 8.1 and theTtechnet preview, that I have become rather disinterested in it.
I am a dedicated and enthusiastic poster in discussion and help, where problems are encountered. Of late, on all the forums I visit, the posts on these subjects, have become sparse and, on a couple of forums, non existent.
Although a close replica of Windows 8.1, with a couple of visible additions, does this mean the OS is close to perfect, or too boringly similar to its predecessor?
For the moment, I am re orientating, as my priority, back To Windows 8.1. An occasional visit to Windows 10 forums will be in order, just to keep in touch, whilst I await the next exciting (??) build release.

By the way, if anyone is curious, here is a list of the ongoing builds:

https://buildfeed.net/

I am informed that the Flight level - low are the most likely builds for public release.

P.S. Just thought to add. My test environment two identical medium performance i5 laptops. One with Windows 8.1, the other with Windows 10. Both have standard hdds
One i7 Stationary. 8gbs ram SSD. This is my "daily" computer, with 8.1
I don't feel it is useful to test the preview on the ssd. The speed is fast enough to make visual speed assessment impossible.
I do think there is an improved response all around, but this could be due to the, so far, lack of extra services etc, which are not yet incorporated, or running.
For me, IE is most definitely more efficient.
I use the start screen as my start menu, so have little interest in that particular improvement.

Last edited:
Still enjoying it here although i agree that a new build would be nice..

Since I have two systems installed over Licensed Windows 8.1, I would appreciate a commitment from Microsoft these installs will be allowed to continue into the final released version.

There are still some small things about these builds I do not like and one thing which is totally unacceptable. I will wait for one more build to check if these have been addressed. In the absence of any guidance from Microsoft, if the problem is not corrected, I will be returning to Windows 8.1. Seeing if I can do that without reinstalling will at least give me something to do.

I am not sure installing on an SSD really makes much difference either, as long as it is large enough so you don't need to alter your install because of it. I have just gotten a new X99 system and will be using a M.2 PCIe SSD as a primary drive.... Quite a bit faster than SATA 6G ...

I stayed with Window 7 and didn't bother with Windows 8 I really didn't see anything that useful to go thru the effort of changing over . I've only played with Windows 10 a little on VMware Player and am not that excited. I'd like to see a more finished appearance. I wish they would leave the start menu and control panel alone. It's annoying trying remember where they moved a feature or what they renamed it. I've got Windows 7 Ultimate and that has the ability to create a virtual HD and dual boot. A handy way to test it on the same hardware. I'll try that when they get a more finished build.
Joe

Hi

I never updated to Windows 8.1 so I'm having a blast with 10.
It's such an improvement from 8, I'm really happy with it and haven't even installed Classic Shell.

Mike

Last edited:
ref my remark in my OP
" Of late, on all the forums I visit, the posts on these subjects, have become sparse and, on a couple of forums, non existent."

I was waiting for the dawn of a new day where I live. visited the highly reputed and busiest help site on the web, this section dedicated to Windows 10.
24 threads with new posts, during my night. 65 new posts in those threads. Only three were Windows 10 specific. A couple were newsy items, the remainder which concerned Windows, were of a general nature which could be applied to any OS. The vast majority were not in essence, related to Windows at all.
- Just emphasising my point!
Mike's site (here) is no worse off in Windows 10 posting material than any other for the moment.

Yeps. It has been downloading whilst I was sleeping. (Nightime sleep that is!) It takes a while on my ISP connection. The new build update, that is, not the ISO. I'm impatient, so I will probably go through the ESD conversion again.

Last edited:
Not too painful after all. As I have said in other threads, for testing I use very average laptops. This one an early i5, no ssd etc...
The whole thing, from start of download to desktop, including the restarts, took just under three hours.
My first impression was that the installation itself took quite a bit longer than expected, about 40 minutes.
I have discovered that it has sorted two particular problems )The only problems) that I had, so I am ready for off.

I'm surprised how smooth and bug free it seems even though it's had 3 different versions installed/upgraded. I'll still be using the Preview iso when released though.. Nothing like a clean install... :)

Well, the esd is sitting in the explorer, Ross, just waiting patiently to be converted.

Hi

All up and running, by some twist of fate it took exactly one hour to install.
I started the download at 6 am and when I came down I started the install at exactly 8 am, it finished at exactly 9 am.

I think this was longer than last time but I have a lot more stuff installed now then I did then.

So far everything I can see seems to be working.

Mike

Ironically I no longer miss the start button from windows 7. Have been forced to learn all the keyboard shortcuts to get around instead of using the start button. Now when I am in windows 7 having to use the start button slows me up. go figure.

Hi

All up and running, by some twist of fate it took exactly one hour to install.
I started the download at 6 am and when I came down I started the install at exactly 8 am, it finished at exactly 9 am.

I think this was longer than last time but I have a lot more stuff installed now then I did then.

So far everything I can see seems to be working.

Mike
I have never been quite sure what, precisely, affects the install time, Mike. Obviously, one important factor is the nature and speed of the HD. An ssd will, for sure, allow the install at a much faster rate. In my case, I generally only use standard equipment for the previews, but the three I use all have 8gbs of Ram and are i5's. Install time, for me, starts from when I insert the DVD (or USB ) and boot.The first obstacle is the DVD loading into a cache. This may all go a little quicker with a USB install. This alone, for me, can take up to 5 minutes, before I even get the opportunity to insert my keyboard etc particulars.
I check the time, then, at the finish, I knock off a couple of minutes for my own interaction. Arrival at the desktop with HD activity at an end, is also my criteria. I have a supsicion that most who comment on installation time stop at the point where they are required to interact with setting up the OS.
Others may consider eliminating a little of this, for their own purposes, but mine is with the intention of comparison with different computers, builds, and even OSs.
Even today, I read in a post that install of the latest build takes this particular user +/- 20 minutes. To date, that is since the first look at Windows 10, I have not managed to achieve a better time than 45 minutes.
This is not of great concern to me. I do install for others, frequently, but am never pressed for time. Other things can occupy me whilst waiting.
I would say, after that, that your 1 hour does seem to be pushing the envelope a little , though!, but I was a bit confused by
" think this was longer than last time but I have a lot more stuff installed now then I did then."
Are we talking installing the ISO, or just the update?

Last edited:
Hmm...good luck with that lol. I'm gonna wait for the official release.
Latest from MS on this
"And finally – we heard from you loud and clear: you want ISO images of the new builds we release. We want to give you what you want – but there’s a catch. Getting the update and install data from our preview builds mechanism is super important for us. It helps us ensure smooth ESD distribution, download, and upgrade success for this program going forward, and will also help us ensure a great Windows 10 upgrade process , so we’re going to release the ISOs at the same time as we publish to the Slow ring. That means if you want to be FIRST and FASTEST to get the build, you’ll need to use our preview builds mechanisms (either Automatic or Check now in Settings to download.) If you must have an ISO you’ll have to be a bit more patient. Hopefully this is a fair tradeoff. "

Latest from MS on this
"And finally – we heard from you loud and clear: you want ISO images of the new builds we release. We want to give you what you want – but there’s a catch. Getting the update and install data from our preview builds mechanism is super important for us. It helps us ensure smooth ESD distribution, download, and upgrade success for this program going forward, and will also help us ensure a great Windows 10 upgrade process , so we’re going to release the ISOs at the same time as we publish to the Slow ring. That means if you want to be FIRST and FASTEST to get the build, you’ll need to use our preview builds mechanisms (either Automatic or Check now in Settings to download.) If you must have an ISO you’ll have to be a bit more patient. Hopefully this is a fair tradeoff. "

Hehe.... ;) Check post #62:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-10-tech-preview.197543/page-4

Hi

I'm ready for the next build, the one where my keyboard lights work!
I'm also having problems shutting my computer down.

I very carefully select shut down but it reboots instead.
I usually have to do the shut down twice before it works.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom