Browser Ballot Screen from March 1st

Do you think every copy of Windows should ask this question?

• No, why should it? Your buying a Microsoft product and it should only include Microsoft software.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Yes, everybody should be able to choose browsers as soon as they log onto the internet.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I dont care, I use IEx anyways.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loathe

The new screen, seen here, will pop up for any European Windows (XP/Vista/7) user who has IE set as their default browser, starting around March 1st.

500x_clip_image002_thumb_20d5b218.jpg

It randomizes new choices for web browsers in an impartial manner, offering direct links to download. It's like Microsoft is saying, "Hey, it's cool, you can take Firefox to the dance. I mean, I handle all of your day to day tasks, like boring spreadsheets, plus I'm awake 24/7 keeping things running for you, keeping you safe. Oh, and remember that time we played Call of Duty all weekend? And we saved the world together? And you cried? I'd never felt as close to you as I did that moment. I thought that meant something. I thought that I meant something, to you."

Gizmodo >>

This screen should be shown on all IE browsers from March 1st, where ever your copy of Windows was brought?

Last edited:
No, but not for the reason you list in the poll. They are in business to make money and it is the peoples' responsibility to use a different web browser. There is no reason they should be forced to show this screen whatsoever. Think about if you owned this product. How would you feel having a regulatory agency making you change it all around for whatever reason? It just seems like a nuisance to me. If I want to use Chrome or Firefox, I can go find those things without a popup window built into Windows. I oppose it because it seems to be forced upon the company, when really, they are giving you a web browser, included with their operating system, as a feature. Sure, they can make money from IE, but they're in no way putting Mozilla or Google out of business. 7 million views later, and more people have used Firefox on this site than IE... so what does that tell us?

Gee I think most people are smart enough to figure out how to put a free browser of their choice on the computer. I mean Use FF primarly but did not need MS to tell me or help me pick this broswer. In the Past I have use Opera and Netscape. In the end I choose FF for my everyday use. I do use MSIE 8 on occasions with my Windows 7 64 bit system

excellent topic to bring up I would have to say no and agree with everyone else you should not be given the option to choose which one it is very easy to download another and micrsoft is in it for the money.

Mike said:
No, but not for the reason you list in the poll. They are in business to make money and it is the peoples' responsibility to use a different web browser. There is no reason they should be forced to show this screen whatsoever.
I also think so. It is the people's free choice what operating system or what browser to use.

Microsoft company supplies their own made operating system with necessary interface and programs, and users can freely install third party software including web browsers. Why should MS have to advertise others' products ?

Why then is there no pop-up reminder to install open office when you install Microsoft Office, or why is there no pop-up to install GIMP when you first launch MS Paint ?

No, but not for the reason you list in the poll. They are in business to make money and it is the peoples' responsibility to use a different web browser. There is no reason they should be forced to show this screen whatsoever.

Yeh your reasoning is what I was trying to get at.

Im sure a lot of people will use IE anyways.

We can not ignore IE: the websites of many banks, savings banks, insurance companies, etc, only work well with IE.

Back