Windows 7 BSOD after closing laptop to sleep

Shadow1984

Hi

I have had 4 BSOD events since December, which appear to occur when I close the laptop lid (where it would normally sleep it eventually goes off - I don't know this has happened until I return to it later!)

This is what it says when I turn it back on:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 8550AB60
BCP3: 82D6BAE0
BCP4: 857ADB68
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Unfortunately I cannot access the crash dump, and I am not proficient enough to follow the already published instructions on unlocking the administrator privileges!

Is anyone here able to help me first access the administrator privileges and then get to the crash dump? I need it all in layman's terms!

Thank you very much

ps I was struggling to get my computer details on my profile, so here is a rundown

Dell Vostro 3700 laptop, windows 7 professional, Intel Core i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, 3GB RAM. I run avg anti-virus free edition.

I have also noticed that windows media player is crashing a lot - I wonder if this is related?

Are you an administrator on your system? If you try to open the C:\Windows\Minidump folder, what happens?

Have you set your system to produce minidumps? If not, open the Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings. Then select the Advanced Tab and Startup and Recovery-Settings button.

On the bottom, in the drop down menu, select Small Memory Dump and OK your way back out.

If you are not getting an actual Blue Screen crash, then you will not see a .dmp file in the minidump folder.

The 9F error seems to indicate a device power management problem. One thing you might try is to open a command prompt by typing cmd in the Start Menu box and hit enter. When the window opens, type powercfg -energy and wait for it to finish.

It is recommended you shutdown all other open applications prior. When the report is finished, make note as to the file name and where it is stored. Then copy it to the desktop and double click the .html file to open.

If some device is having problems, you should see an error message in red at the top. USB devices normally seem to show up here, so ignore them for now. If you want to post it, use the snipping tool to take a picture. You can edit it with Paint if you want, and afterward you can attach using the paperclip on the Advanced Reply window.

Overall, there is a possibility one of your devices is not sleeping or waking from sleep/hibernation correctly, but really just guessing ...

Hi Saltgrass, thanks for your reply

I am the only user of my laptop, but it won't allow me access some administrator things such as the minidump files. I managed to open the folder and I can see at least 4 dmp files in there (one for each BSOD crash I guess from the dates) but I was unable to move/copy/zip or open them. One of the other bsod threads asked for the dmp files to be zipped and loaded onto here for someone to analyse - which I tried but cannot do because of the admin thing.

I ran the power management assessment as you suggested (it let me run cmd as administrator in order to do it) and I got 3 errors all relating to usb, and then 9 warnings as follows:

[h=4]WarningsPower Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)1800

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is long (Plugged In)
The computer is configured to automatically sleep after longer than 30 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)7200

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

CPU Utilization:processor utilization is moderate
The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)3.83

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Nameiexplore.exe
PID1916
Average Utilization (%)1.13
Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash11e.ocx0.28
\SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe0.19
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll0.11

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process NameSearchIndexer.exe
PID5236
Average Utilization (%)0.28
\SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe0.23
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\mssrch.dll0.00
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll0.00

Process NameSystem
PID4
Average Utilization (%)0.26
\SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe0.15
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcmwl6.sys0.02
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys0.01

Process Namerundll32.exe
PID3972
Average Utilization (%)0.23
\SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe0.13
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll0.02
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys0.01

[/h]I did some further poking around looking at possible BSOD meanings from this website Maximum PC | Blue Screen of Death Survival Guide: Every Error Explained

But even this was too much for me to decipher, although it mentioned screening for drivers that need updating - I think I found another snag with not being able to access admin privileges, otherwise I would have posted saying what I had found!

Is any of that useful?

Back