Windows 8 BSOD after new RAM

Kazanagi

Hello,
i recently upgraded my RAM and got a bunch of BSOD. My first guess was that it would be the new RAM so i tested it with memtest and memtest86. memtest ran to about 120% Coverage and didn't find any errors. As for memtest86 i ran 4 passes for each RAM stick which was about 2 hours each, again there were no errors to be found. After that i reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro N in hope that it would solve the problem which it didn't. I did save the minidumps before reinstall windows, i have them in the folder "Older Minidumps" if that info is neccessary.

One thing that bugs me is that the Core Voltage in CPU-Z seems to be displayed incorrectly sometimes, at some point it show arround 1.2 V which should be correct. In the screenshot it is too low to the correct value and the value jumps around alot too.

I hope that all the neccessary info you need

Thanks

Attachments

• BSOD_Info.zip
    904.5 KB · Views: 1,249
Although I cannot give you a detailed BSOD analysis at this time, regarding the voltage issue you are experiencing:

Are you overclocking here? Primarily because the voltage does look too low. You should have 1.2V going in/out. Also, your clock speed is running at 3.8ghz. Either this is turbo boost in the bios or an overclock? 3.4GHZ i5?? I would try to reset the BIOS back to safe/factory default settings before you go any further.

Last edited:
Yes I did indeed overclocked it at 3.8 ghz. when i play games it the voltage jumps up to ~1.112V. To reset the BIOS/UEFI i have to use the cmos jumper right?

edit: I reseted the UEFI within the UEFI

Voltages:

VCCIN: 1.776V
CPU Core: 1.024V
CPU Ring: 1.080V
CPU SA: 0.848V
CPU IO Digital: 1.000V
DRAM: 1.488V

System 3.3V: 3.344V
System 5V: 5.040V
System 12V: 12.096V

Last edited:
@kemical is looking at your memory dumps. But generally if you can't go back to factory defaults from the BIOS this would be the way.

Ok thanks, i edit my post just before your post and added the current voltages that BIOS showed me

The Core Voltage that CPU-Z displays is still too low though

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffe00009872028, b2000000, 10014}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
collectively you have many different reasons for bsod. These range from Hardware error like above to Razer USB drivers, Avast AV, graphic drivers and others. I see from what you say above that your overclocking. Please return to default values so we can determine source of bsod. You can do this by either reversing what you've done or resetting the bios by removing the bios battery (for 30 secs) or use the CMOS jumper.

Did the bsod start after the overclock or the new RAM?
If it started after you applied the overclock then you pretty much have your issue right there. If it started after the new sticks then as well as returning to default values I'd install your old sticks of RAM. If the machine doesn't bsod then you know the fault has to lay with the new sticks. You could try applying some more voltage (1.6v) and also check if they're on the compatibility chart for the motherboard.
Your bios is also slightly out of date.
BiosVersion = V2.2
BiosReleaseDate = 06/27/2014
http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_GAMING_3.html#down-bios
Please update to latest version ensuring I have the correct motherboard and download.
Post any new dump files.

Just to add, driver wise you look in pretty good shape. The only thing which can cause issues from time to time is this:
dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Feb 21 09:49:36 2014: Daemon Tools. If the bsod's continue this would be an option to remove to see if they stop.

Voltage wise.. Don't forget that CPU voltages can go down as well as up and when a cpu is at idle they use hardly anything. It's when the cpu is at 100% that you want to make sure the right voltage is getting through. Much has been written on overclocking Intel chips. Try doing a search with your chip in the title regarding overclicking. (read , read as much as you can when attempting stuff like this)

Last edited:
The BSOD started after the new RAM was installed. The overclock was already applied before the new RAM and was running without problems. As for compatibility it should be okay, the mainboard supports DDR3-1600 which is the same as the RAM.

I'll try it with the default settings first and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

About Daemon Tools, right now it isn't installed.

Ok understood.. Did you see my edit above regarding Bios?

Yes, thanks I will do that. As I have never updated BIOS before, do I do it with a bootable USB stick?

Hmm... Well it say's this on the actual Bios download page:

When updating BIOS via M-Flash, please make sure that your USB storage device is recognized as "Removable Device",
If your USB storage device is not recognized as "Removable Device", please update BIOS via MSI Live-update under windows.
I also did a little search and this link contains a post (second one down) that gives you details on how to update via USB.:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1500642/how-do-use-m-flash-in-the-msi-z97-bios-to-update-the-bios

Or just use the auto updater MSI live?

So far everythings running fine. I'll post an update if anything comes up
Thanks for the help, really appreciated it.

After a few days with no BSOD, I just got one again, I've attached the minidump.

Attachments

• 102314-13093-01.dmp
    291.4 KB · Views: 291
Code:

BugCheck 4E, {2, d7953, 21efff, 1}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+1563c )

This is a memory error and is basically a driver passing corrupt data. Have you installed anything new lately? As your running Windows 8 open a admin command prompt and type:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results.

Post any new dump files.

I did install a couple of program the last few days. Yesterday I installed daemon tools because I needed it, I'll deinstall it to see if that could be the cause.

I typed the command you posted. It detected 87 errors and after that it's says something like 'the option "online/cleanup-image/restorehealth" is unknown' (my Windows 8.1 is in german)

edit: My bad I typed it without the spaces. Its running now

edit2: It's done and was successful.

Last edited:
Yes Daemon tools can create issues but it looks like your on it ok.. See how you go.

I just got a couple of BSOD again. This time my PC freezed while I was playing a game and after I restarted it, BSOD all over the place. I just got these 3, for the first few there weren't any minidumps.

edit: I added 2 more

edit2: They just won't stop, here are 3 more dumps. Currently I try to use my old RAM to see if it happens with them too.

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    90.1 KB · Views: 266
  • minidump2.zip
    63.3 KB · Views: 241
  • minidump3.zip
    85.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 19, {e, ffffc001c115f000, 994d7f5bad1c1a5b, 994d7f5bad1c1a30}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSnx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSnx.sys
Probably caused by : aswSnx.sys ( aswSnx+38dc )

Hi,
most of the dumps were for your gpu driver and the above. Avast AV
aswSnx.sys Thu Jun 26 12:34:44 2014: Avast AV is known to cause issues on occasion please remove and use Defender as this is ultra stable.

MBfilt64.sys Fri Jul 31 04:40:32 2009: Realtek Audio driver. It might be in your add and remove programs as a creative driver please remove.

TuneUpUtilitiesDriver64.sys Fri May 25 11:28:19 2012: Please either remove or update.

nvlddmkm.sys Sat Sep 13 20:59:50 2014: Nvidia gpu driver. Please update to latest version:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If the bsod continues try using one stick of RAM and if that still blue screens swop it again until you find ones which don't.

Back