Windows 8 BSOD at random moments with different reasons every time...

DWreck

Okay, well here is my new issue. In Windows 8 I started just getting BSOD's for random reasons, meaning the cause or error code, whatever that thing is called is always something different. I'v been trying to find the root of the cause for sometime now but I can't narrow it down.

Here are my PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5 Ghz (Made it stock, 3.5 Ghz for troubleshooting)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
RAM: Kinston HyperX Beast 2400 Mhz (Which is what its rated for, but for troubleshooting I made it 1600 Mhz)
HDD: Samsung 1TB (It could be a cause as well read more of the post to see why)
PSU: XFX 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold

Here is the list of thing I have tried:

-Reset everything in Bios to Stock
-Remove possabile programs that could cause the issue
-Do a system restore vack to the point where they wern't happening
-Format and re-install Windows 8 (Done 4 times now)
-Don't download anything when I re-install windows to see if it is a 3rd party app
-Try to cause a BSOD to learn more about the root of the problem
-Rebuild my PC (Hardware wise)
-And last but not least, return to Windows 7

Here is what I have learned:

-Resetting to Stock Settings helped by decreasing the amount of BSOD's I get.
-Removing the programs I thought might cause the problem did nothing
-A system restore did not work, so I thought a Hardware Problem might be a cause too
-Formatting and re-installing Windows 8 changed how often I get them, different for each re-install
-Not installing anything after I re-installed Windows 8 didn't really change anything
-I did cause a few of them, by using the HD 4000 Graphics to run a game caused them multiple times as an example. Also using a second monitor also increased the amount of BSOD's I got
-Rebuilding the PC did nothing as well
- Going back to Windows 7 seemed to help a lot, I have only gotten 1 BOSD from just using the desktop, but if I do anything like running a game again or using a second monitor I still get random BSOD's

Side Notes:

- My 2400 Mhz RAM may be rated for that speed but it does require OCing to achieve that. For IB CPU's 1600 Mhz is now possible without OCing and is fully supported. So I chose that instead of the more common 1333 Mhz.
- My Samsung 1TB HDD is being vary strange ever since I built my new PC (Keeping this HDD). It is slow, not the average HDD slow, even slower. I have used CrystelDiskMark to make a Benchmark of my HDD.

Benchmark.PNG

Now it may seem okay, I don't know about others. But the fact is that before it was faster then this, and I don't understand why it isn't now. And because this seems to be the only thing wrong Hardware wise, it could be a cause of the problem. To test this, I got an ADATA 128GB MSATA SSD to re-install Windows to and see what happens. I haven't done it yet, but when I have I will update my progress.

If you guys require any info that I have not all ready supplied then please don't hesitate to ask! Thank you guys for helping me in my previous issues, I really Appreciate it!

For starters:
At work we start all repairs with a set of diagnostics. Often they find problems that weren't even expected. It's a waste of time to try to fix software on a system that has hardware problems.
Please try these free diagnostics for starters: Initial Hardware Diagnostics
Also, please ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis: http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-errors-bsods/11837-how-ask-help-bsod.html

For starters:

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis: http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-errors-bsods/11837-how-ask-help-bsod.html
Thank you for the reply. I will do as you asked, but I'd like to let you know I just finished installing Windows 7 on my SSD. Now before I put all of my apps on it to see what happens I just put a Game on it really quick because its one of the ways I can cause my PC to BSOD if there is something wrong like on my other HDD. I got 2 BSOD's both being Page Fault In Nonpaged Area (Not exactly what it said but it was so fast I couldn't catch it, or even where the dump was stored. But I think you guys know where that is). The first one was when I changed a setting for the quality, the second was as soon as I clicked the icon to start it. Then I remembered that I had my OC Profile still on because when it rebooted it said that it couldn't because the CPU was to hot. So I made it stock again and then it worked. I think in this case it was the Heat, because I RMA'ed my H100i and until I get it back I'm using the Stock CPU Cooler which is about 60C Idle. So maybe when the game was running it brought it up to high. But just so you know, it happened on my H100i as well I just think that for these 2 BSOD's alone it happened to be Heat. So that means, so far so good here if it was because of heat, since I couldn't do that on the other HDD that gives me a little hope on what is causing it. But as I said I will run the tests you linked me to and post back. Would you like me to go ahead and re-install everything on the SSD and run them on that or go back on my HDD and run them? Or do both?

Thanks, DWreck.

Okay, I'v finally re-installed everything that was on my HDD to my SDD and ran it like normal and so far so good. Besides those 2 BOSD's I talked about in my other post. So I'm fairly sure that my HDD is the problem. I'm actually happy that that's the case because I finally got to the root of the issue. I was buying a new one because of the new slowness issue all the sudden so that worked out nicely. For now I will call this problem Solved! If I find any more BSOD's then I will investigate and reply. Thank you for the help as always!

I'm glad to hear that you've solved it. Feel free to post back if the BSOD's return.
FYI - The initial diagnostics that I suggested include a hard drive test.

Watch the heat also - it can cause BSOD's (and you may not even get memory dumps), but it also can stress your components (such as the hard drive, RAM, CPU, etc) and cause them to fail more quickly then when under normal temps

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom