Windows 7 BSOD due to video card

Random DBA

I spent a few hours last night attempting to install windows 7 Ultimate on my fairly old (P4, 2GB ram) pc.

I had recently bought a 1GB Radeon HD 4650 AGP graphics card. Unfortunately, this card did not play well with Win7, causing a BSOD after the starting up logo.

I was able to complete the installation with my old card just fine (an nvidea 7600 GS), but I had no intention of using it going forward, since I had just replaced the power supply to use the new card, plus the price of the radeon card.

After switching out the card, I was back to BSOD on startup. I was able to boot into safe mode, but unable to install the driver from there, alas.

After about 2-3 hours of messing with it, I gave up and went back to windows xp, which boots into standard VGA when the graphics card is unknown, and lets me install the driver with no problems.

I am just curious if anyone here knows a remedy to this issue. Is there a way to force Windows 7 to do a normal boot, but not attempt to use video acceleration? I think if I could have gotten a nomal boot using the VGA video adapter I could have solved my problem.

Re: drew

It confirms that the video card was the problem, but I knew that anyway. I can't really switch to a different one because the point of the card is that it is a modern AGP card with DDR3 ram and directx 10.1 capability. Not easy to find for my aging mobo.

'Random DBA',

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

I had a Radeon card, wasn't HD. Switched to one that was but, still ATI. Blue screened, scared the crap outta me, thought, for a moment things were catastrophic... couldn't boot into anything & I have 3 OSs in this box & need everything for client support & more. Decided not to try another ATI card. I, ovbiously, managed to get the machine back on track. However I went w/ a Gigabyte GeForce210 instead & everything was/has been fine w/ it. Got an Exchange on the ATI card. Machine really did not like the ATI card, @ all!!

Maybe this anecdote helps

Regards,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

Back
Top Bottom