Windows 7 BSOD - Help

James Adamson

Hi,

I hope i have this right. I am getting the BSOD several times a day now. I have hopefully attached the relevant files for someone to look at and hopefully help. I'm not that great with computers and the "WhoCrashed" or "Bluescreen" software i downloaded doesn't seem to find a crash log. I have noticed a couple of times the error message SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, although i don't get this every time. I have updated all drivers etc but the problem persists. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

James

I haven't got a screenshot of the BSOD as i have no idea how to get one, but the first code has ended either 1E, 7E or 3B eg:(0x0000001E) if that helps.

*Added W7F (2) file as i wasn't sure if i ran as admin on the first one.

Attachments

• W7F_12-06-2015.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 375
  • W7F_12-06-2015 (2).zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Hi James,
unfortunately your download didn't contain a dump file which probably means your pc isn't configured to produce them. We need to see the actual dump file in order to debug. Follow these settings and once you bsod again you'll have a dump file which you can post in:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Remember you'll need to have another bsod before a dump file is created. Once you do run the app again and send in the results.

Dump files can always be found in a folder marked 'minidump' located in the main windows folder. If you don't have the minidump folder or no dump files then follow the above.

Thanks Kemical

I have tried this a few times but do not seem to get a dump file recorded. I have checked the settings as per your post and will wait now to see if it works and attach the file after.

Regards

James

Hi James,
another thing which can stop a dump file from being created is if the Pagefile is either turned off or set below 200MB.

Thanks, unfortunately i have just had the first bsod since you replied and no file is saved in the minidump folder :( This has been an ongoing problem. I have looked into the Pagefile settings and have ticked the "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" ( it was perviously on a custom setting. Hoping this works and will wait for the next bsod.

Could this be something to do with my SSD drive? As i mentioned before i have little computer knowledge, i have 2 drives, ssd (223g) and another which has 931g capacity but has absolutely nothing on it.

Thanks in advance.

I have looked into the Pagefile settings and have ticked the "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" ( it was perviously on a custom setting. Hoping this works and will wait for the next bsod.

Hi James,
yes if your pagefile was below 200MB then a dump file will not be created. Your SSD's shouldn't make any difference and in fact I know from personal experience that an SSD will not stop dump file creation.

For dumps to be produced. . .
▪ Page file must be on OS drive
▪ Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
▪ Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL (see screenshot and instructions below)
▪ Set page file to system managed, OS drive
ref:
http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bso...-information/325-bsods-but-no-dump-files.html

To ensure Windows error reporting is set to manual open the run box and type services.msc, press enter.
services.jpg

Double click the arrowed item to get the box to reveal. Ensure it's set to manual.

Back