Windows 10 BSOD Memory Management / KNode Exception Not Handled

KJBryan

Hi,

I've been experiencing increasingly frequent BSODs on my system in the past month. The usual culprit is Memory Management but I occasionally get KNode_Exception... errors too.

I have read multiple threads on multiple sites and WF was the closest I came to finding useful answers.

It started when playing Tom Clancy's The Division in late March leading me to reformat my HDs and install a clean version of Windows 10. With the latest Nvidia drivers this improved stability a lot and the crashes almost stopped entirely in that game.

But the problem reared its ugly head again this week - the Overwatch Beta crashed every 5 minutes which led me to explore the BSOD issue further. I followed the advice you'd given another user (BSOD: Windows 10 Memory Management) and it definitely helped.

I ran a 6 hour+ MemTest but found no errors. I ran an SFC and Chkdsk but found no errors. I even bought Driver Fusion Premium to find the latest drivers for my hardware and updated them all. Finally, I removed Avast security and then cleaned the Nvidia drivers using the tool recommended and installed the latest versions (including the 3D drivers, and HD audio) and this improved things hugely. I maybe had one more crash in three days of play.

But then today, playing XCom 2 for a couple of hours on a warm day in London, the system has crashed 3 times on me and I decided to post my DMP files to you incredibly helpful people here.

I run my system slightly over-clocked using the Asus Suite 4-way-optimisation meaning the CPU scales from 0.8hz-4.5ghz depending on load.

I have a matched pair of Kingston ram so I don't think it's a timings clash.

My MSI 970 GTX card is only 6 months old so I'm hoping that's not the issue either though it should still be covered by warranty.

According to Window's Reliability Monitor I'm about a 2 at the moment. I was running this same system on Windows 7 and didn't have anything like this level of instability.

If you can help me narrow down whether this is a software, power or hardware issue I would be hugely grateful.

The .zip file of recent activity is attached.

Thanks,
K

Attachments

• W7F_12-05-2016.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8033e6f23a4, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchiProcessDpcCompletedPacket+b7 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as your probably aware you have a number of different bugchecks mainly to do with Nvida driver issues or memory management. I also saw the driver verifier enabled dump for Avast AV too.
Ok well first off try running these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Please remove the grphics driver using the Display driver uninstaller. This has to be used in safe mode for best results and then it's ready for the new driver:
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

As you used a driver utility to update your drivers I would ask that you use your motherboard support page, slowly go through each one and install the version from the ASUS site (after removing the original first):
Z87-PRO - Support

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Post any new dump files.

Last edited:
Hi Kemical, first of all thank you for taking a look at this for me.

I'm going through the steps now - the DMP files I sent you stretch back quite a few weeks which is why the Avast and Nvidia errors are there I'd imagine - I have removed Avast now and did the Nvidia driver clean-up about two days ago.

I've run the SFC scan and no errors were found - I also did the cleanup-image step and re-ran the SFC for good measure, still no integrity issues.

I'm downloading all of the ASUS recommended drivers for my board from their website now and will do another clean install of Nvidia and all of the ASUS drivers this evening. If I get more BSODs then I will run a Memtest over night and will keep supplying you with any .DMP files.

Thanks again, speak soon.

K

Hiya K,
oops sorry about the boob regarding Dell and drivers, heaven knows where my mind was at but anyhoo I've now edited it to say ASUS lol.
Thanks for the update and hope all goes well.

Please post any new dump files.

I've done all steps now (though I'm not entirely sure I removed all the drivers before installing the ASUS approved versions) but I played XCom 2 for an hour and no crashes. I will do more tomorrow and hopefully it holds up.

If it doesn't then I will do the stress test with Memtest and post the new dump files.

Thanks for all the help K

Sounds good!

Seems like we might be getting somewhere although time will tell. Hope all goes well but if not post back.

I may have spoken too soon. Was playing XCom 2 again today and after two hours (so longer than it has been) during a level load it crashed - not even a BSOD this time, just an infinite loop black screen forcing me to hard restart.

I'm running a Memtest now as it was next on the list and it's 6 hours in with no errors. Will keep you posted.

I'm thinking about doing a clean Win 10 reset from within Windows but removing old files - this time I'll only install the Asus recommended drivers. Do you think that's worth a shot?

I'm thinking about doing a clean Win 10 reset from within Windows but removing old files - this time I'll only install the Asus recommended drivers. Do you think that's worth a shot?
To be honest it's probably what I'd try so yes give it a go but please no driver update utilities.. :)

If you find that the bsod is still occurring after the RESET then try downclocking your gpu. Drop the speed down by 20-30MHz on both core and memory. If it still bsod's, drop it down further and so on. In total though you don't want to be lowering the speed by anymore than 100mhz so see how you go.

I know you run the system overclocked. Have you tried playing the game without the overclock just to see if the bsod still occurs?

"I'm thinking about doing a clean Win 10 reset from within Windows but removing old files - this time I'll only install the Asus recommended drivers. Do you think that's worth a shot?"

Just drivers please leave out all the Asus utilities as alot of them create issues.

"I'm thinking about doing a clean Win 10 reset from within Windows but removing old files - this time I'll only install the Asus recommended drivers. Do you think that's worth a shot?"

Just drivers please leave out all the Asus utilities as alot of them create issues.
I already checked his support page Rich and none are available to download from that page. (the windows 10 support page) I'm sure they are available somewhere but as you say they can cause issues anyway..

Thanks gents. I've just got home to a completed Memtest - 12 hours and no errors. And then as I booted the computer after the test I had a Memory Management BSOD so the latest .zip file is attached.

I'm going to do the Win 10 reset tomorrow and will avoid installing any of the Asus utilities as well :)

If the latest DMP file sheds any light then let me know.

If a reinstall won't fix issues then my sights are on the GFX card or CPU. I'll try downclocking the GPU first and if that doesn't work I'll run the CPU at stock and see if that makes a difference. My hope is that it's a driver issue and if it isn't then my gut is saying graphics card but will work through the steps and keep posting to you guys.

Seriously, thank you so much for helping out. I'd be lost without guidance.

Attachments

• W7F_14-05-2016.zip
    285.2 KB · Views: 354
Wait maybe I missed something here is the cpu or gpu overclocked now and if so, what to what? That might be the whole issue.
I just reread this thread and you state that you have overclocked the cpu. What about GPU? And you are using software to oc it. OK first of all never oc using software, this kind of thing is exactly what can happen. I am not telling you not to oc just that if you do you need to do it using the bios tools as that is the only way it will run right and that Al Suite III I would immediately uninstall that was one of the things I was asking about earlier when I said only use the Asus drivers. I bet this fixes it. Set everything back to default before uninstalling that suite though so we don't add to the problem.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {61941, ffffc0019dfe8008, 9, ffffd00089a17270}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+105aa )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
yup Bugcheck 1A although I'm pretty sure it's probably driver related. I had a look through your drivers and see your running something called Razer gamebooster? If so please remove.

If the bsod continues please follow the suggestions I laid out in post #8 and then we'll see where the land lies..

Wait maybe I missed something here is the cpu or gpu overclocked now and if so, what to what? That might be the whole issue.
I just reread this thread and you state that you have overclocked the cpu. What about GPU? And you are using software to oc it. OK first of all never oc using software, this kind of thing is exactly what can happen. I am not telling you not to oc just that if you do you need to do it using the bios tools as that is the only way it will run right and that Al Suite III I would immediately uninstall that was one of the things I was asking about earlier when I said only use the Asus drivers. I bet this fixes it. Set everything back to default before uninstalling that suite though so we don't add to the problem.

GPU is not overclocked Rich although the cpu is slightly. I already asked the op to try running at defaults (stock values) as well as various other steps and he's just working through them now.

Yeah GPU is stock, CPU is a bit OC'd but has been since day 1 and I have never had these issues before. As for the ASUS Suite, it isn't installed on my system - I installed it when I had Windows 7 and ran the 4-way optimization which auto OC'd the CPU via the bios to 4.5ghz. This has always been stable even under stress testing.

Perhaps issues are due to degradation and I will run CPU at stock if the Win 10 clean install or GPU downclock doesn't fix the BSOD problems. I'm going to go through the steps Kemical has prescribed.

Thanks,
K

Don't forget about the Razer Game booster as I'm pretty sure this uses a set of files called 'WinRing' which can cause issues like blue screens and the like.

GPU is not overclocked Rich although the cpu is slightly. I already asked the op to try running at defaults (stock values) as well as various other steps and he's just working through them now.

Ok got it and I see I missed that as well. And the software is not installed so again great.

*UPDATE*

So I've now reinstalled Windows 10 Pro 64bit - I formatted the boot drive entirely as well. I installed all of the ASUS approved drivers and the latest Nvidia drivers.

I made a Steam backup of all my games and restored those as well. Everything was fine for the first day (3-4 hours gameplay on various games) but playing XCom 2 today (for about an hour) led to another crash.

There was a fleeting BSOD but before a .DMP file could be made the computer reset itself.

As a result I've reset my BIOS to default settings to see if it's the overclocked CPU causing the issue. If that doesn't work I will download Riva Tuner and down clock my GFX card in 30mhz increments.

Is there likely going to be a point when I'm able to definitively say what's causing this issue?

Attachments

• W7F_16-05-2016.zip
    201.8 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
As you say there isn't a dump file included in the zip you posted.
Before you try the downclocking, run Furmark for an hour or so. This will stress the gpu, if there is an issue with the gpu it's likely to show here. Make a note of the temperatures please:
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Monitor temp's with this app:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Please post the make and model of your PSU

If the machine still bsod's after downclocking the gpu then something else you could try is running on one stick of RAM. I've dealt with cases where memtest86 wouldn't report an error but yet dumps were pointing to the RAM. You can try running on individual sticks and see if the bsod still occurs. If you find the machine will bsod on one stick but not the other then you have your culprit. It could be simply that the reason memtest86 didn't catch the error is because it wasn't run for long enough.

Is there likely going to be a point when I'm able to definitively say what's causing this issue?
Hopefully the testing you try above will reveal the culprit.

Post any new dump files.

Back