Windows 7 BSOD on reboot or startup after shutdown

Kojak1970

Hello there!

On Friday, I started having a problem with my system, running Windows 7 Ultimate, where I get a BSOD right at the login screen. Computer boots up normally, the blue login screen pops up, and immediately goes to the BSOD with BAD_POOL_HEADER at the top. It then will go back through the boot process, and if I select boot normally (or it times out) the same thing happens.

Going into Safe Mode (with networking) I can get into the Control Panel, Recovery, and choose a restore point. The computer then does it's thing, and boots up normally. As long as I leave the computer on, it runs fine.

It does this if I restart the computer or boot it back up after a shutdown. I've included the W7F information, hopefully that'll shed some light on the problem.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• W7F_31-3-2013.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 388
For starters:
At work we start all repairs with a set of diagnostics. Often they find problems that weren't even expected. It's a waste of time to try to fix software on a system that has hardware problems.
Please try these free diagnostics for starters: Initial Hardware Diagnostics
Also, please ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

There are no memory dumps in the uploaded files. Please do this:
Upload Dump Files:
NOTE: If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder. Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there. If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP. If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service. Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp. Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): Set MiniDumpMore info on dump file options here: Overview of memory dump file options for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Please check to ensure that you have all Windows Updates (you have 137, most systems have 150 or more). It may take multiple trips to get all of them.

You have a 802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless USB Adapter
I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices. Especially in Win7/Win8 systems.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7(and I suspect with Win8) - using Vista drivers with them is almost sure to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have Win7/Win8 drivers - DO NOT use Vista drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

We've seen a number of BSOD issues with SSD's. Here's the information that I've compiled so far:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's. The "easiest" test is to remove the SSD, install a platter-based hard drive, install Windows and test for stability that way.

Here's some suggestions:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)
- Update the motherboard controllers drivers to the latest available version from the controller manufacturer (NOT the mobo manufacturer unless you can't find any on the controller manufacturer's website). Be sure to update ALL controllers on the motherboard! I STRONGLY suggest not using controller drivers older than mid-2012 with SSD's.
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
....NOTE: Recently (Nov 2011) we had BSOD issues with the Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD. You may have to switch controllers also.
- Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
06 Dec 2011 - This post tends to confirm issues with certain SSD chipsets and certain controllers - [SOLVED] cant find the cause of BSOD F4 - Tech Support Forum
05 Jan 2013 - very interesting post about difficulties with the Marvell controllers even when not connected to the SSD drives: https://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cr...-pc-reboots-when-waking-sleep.html#post169956
27 Feb 2013 - I'm starting to see much better reliability with SSD's using current (mid-2012 and later) storage drivers. I have withdrawn my objections to using these devices in everyday systems.

This device has issues:
sbwtis ROOT\LEGACY_SBWTIS\0000 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
This device has problems and must be fixed. I suspect it's GFI Firewall SDK Transport Inspection System Driver - but haven't had time to do much research (I'm late for work right now).
Please un-install it, then un-install the device from Device Manager

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom