Windows 10 BSOD out of the blue is getting old ...

I was hoping the chkdsk would find and fix errors as I saw possible issues relating to the NTFS file system. Hopefully the scan has taken care of these but please post any new dump files should they arise.

Kemical, got the BSOD and reboot again today however, the w7F diagnostic tool froze and gave me an "Unhandled Exception" error and would not complete. Here is a copy of the details of that.

EDIT: ... Should I delete or, be deleting the old (previous) minidump files/contents?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Could not complete operation on some files and directories. See the Data property of the exception for more details.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.FxCopyOrMoveDirectory(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceDirectoryPath, String targetDirectoryPath, Boolean overwrite)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.CopyOrMoveDirectory(CopyOrMove operation, String sourceDirectoryName, String destinationDirectoryName, Boolean overwrite, UIOptionInternal showUI, UICancelOption onUserCancel)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.FileSystemProxy.CopyDirectory(String sourceDirectoryName, String destinationDirectoryName, Boolean overwrite)
at W7F_Diagnostic_Tool.Form1.Button3_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9151 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
W7F Diagnostic Tool
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Optiplex/Downloads/W7F%20Diagnostic%20Tool/W7F%20Diagnostic%20Tool.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Last edited:
Hi sorry I missed your post.

Can you visit the minidump folder and zip the contents? Don't worry about whats old or new as I'll be able to work it out.

Zipping the contents is where I previously kept getting the "access denied" comments (Must be Administrator, I assume.). Hopefully, I've worked around that and this folder contains what you need.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    1 MB · Views: 190
I perhaps should have mentioned that the W7 tool needs to be run as admin.

Does the bsod occur randomly or are you doing something specific?

Download 'Seatools for Windows' and check your drive:
SeaTools | Seagate Support US
(look under Downloads and it's last in the list)

Yeah, I should have remembered to run the W7 tool as administrator.

Yes, the bsod does occur randomly. This last time, I clicked to open a folder, the folder came up kind of transparent, paused and the bsod came up and rebooted.

I ran SeaTools full test. here is the result from that ...

----- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.7 ---------------
12/17/2020 11:23:10 AM
Model Number: ST2000VM003-1CT164
Serial Number: W1H2DXH9
Firmware Revision: ES22
Fix All Long - Started 12/17/2020 11:23:10 AM
Fix All Long - Pass 12/17/2020 4:17:40 PM

I am running a couple different MIRC scripts ... This event didn't start happening until after installing and using the second one. It does have a built in virus/trojan scanner that loads every couple of minutes but, that one wasn't open when this last event occurred. I am kind of wondering if there might be some conflict there.

I am running a couple different MIRC scripts ... This event didn't start happening until after installing and using the second one. It does have a built in virus/trojan scanner that loads every couple of minutes but, that one wasn't open when this last event occurred. I am kind of wondering if there might be some conflict there.
Hmm.. I would say you have a good chance of that being your culprit right there.. Only way to test I guess is to remove the script and see if the issue resolves?

Well, it happened again last night, as I was getting ready to go get my wife from work. I wasn't even at the computer so I have no idea what occurred. I only knew because I heard my sub (speaker) pop when it did. I had one script open, which I've been using for over ten years without an issue. I've been staying away from the other.
Is there any other info I could grab by itself with the W7F tool that would be helpful on its own?
Edit: I had someone I mentioned this issue to suggest remove the latest updates ... is there any validity to that? Might there be a recent update causing problems?

Attachments

• W7F_18-12-2020.zip
    1 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
So again the dump is blaming a windows process.

If the bsod started around the same time as recieving the updates then give it a try, removing them that is.

I'd view any changes you've made even if they've been working fine as suspect.

View any third party as suspect and if you no longer use it then uninstall it.

I doubt it's a hardware issue and you may benefit from trying a clean install. I assume all your bios and drivers are the latest versions yes?

No way to tell which "Windows Process?

I will have to see when the latest updates were installed and see how this correlates with the bsod issue.

I really haven't made any "changes" per se.

I have noticed though, every time it reboots, I get "Logitech Updates are downloading" but, when I click it in the notification area. it just disappears. I am using a Logitech K350 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. maybe, get a different keyboard and mouse? Does that sound feasible?

As far as a clean install, I don't recall if I mentioned early on but, This was originally a Win 7 Pro machine from a local Technical College. I bought it used with Win 10 Pro installed so, I haven't the software for a "Clean install".

As far as bios and drivers, I will need direction to check those.

I have noticed though, every time it reboots, I get "Logitech Updates are downloading" but, when I click it in the notification area. it just disappears. I am using a Logitech K350 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. maybe, get a different keyboard and mouse? Does that sound feasible?
Why not try updating those drivers yourself?

Logitech K350 Software, Drivers Support Download

I'd uninstall the original first and then apply the new driver.

The process blamed in the dump was the desktop manager.
This was originally a Win 7 Pro machine from a local Technical College. I bought it used with Win 10 Pro installed so, I haven't the software for a "Clean install".
You can download a fresh copy of Windows from here:
Download Windows 10

Let's see if updating a few drivers helps first tho?

You could of course try a repair on the os too? This article outlines a number of options:
Your step-by-step guide to repairing Windows 10

Last edited:
For the time being, I have removed all the bloatware that is associated with Logitech. The mouse and keyboard work fine without them.

As far as the Win 10 download, I wasn't aware it was still available.

I just went into Windows Update history and discovered that "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" has "Failed to install" 10 times since 12/10. That is how far the history goes back. All have a code of 0x800f081f.

I will look into the link you provided "Your step by step guide to repairing windows 10".

It might be Monday before I reply again. With Christmas getting close, we are quite busy here.

It just happened again ... I wasn't home, wasn't @ the computer. got home and noticed screen on.

I again used the W7F tool to grab the minidump folder. I also included the "Driver List" so you can see if anything looks out of date or, out of place there.

I would really like to get this solved so I can quit bothering you with it.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to you and yours.

Attachments

• W7F_22-12-2020.zip
    979.1 KB · Views: 190
The process blamed was the Registry.

Did you manage to make any headway with my suggestions in post #33? It does look like windows needs a refresh and you do have other options other than the rather aggressive clean install. The link I posted outlines a number of options so worth a read at least.

I looked over your drivers and yes some are quite old, circa 2015 for some. I did check your systems support page and dates vary:
Support for OptiPlex 3010 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell UK

It might be worth just leaving the drivers to Windows update?

Yes, I did look over the step by step article ... "Your step by step guide to repairing Windows 10". We already went through the sfc /scannow and the
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth from post 11. I have not tried any of the other command strings suggested.

I have not considered system restore at this point as I will need to get several things backed up before doing so.

I clicked on the link in your latest post. I then clicked on "Detect Drivers". This is the message I received ... " No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates".

If it comes to the point of (Step 3: In-place upgrade to current Windows 10 version), again I would like to get things backed up before doing so. at this point, it is looking like it is what I will need to approach and do. I successfully upgraded my wife's machine from 7 to 10 with the ISO install so, I should be able to accomplish this.

Right now though, the Christmas holiday is crowding out getting anything else done.

What about trying a repair? I'm sure that article goes in detail on how to do this?

In any case, we'll still be here after Yuletide and just want to wish you and yours a very happy Chrimble and New Year!

Kemical, first, I am not clear on what you are referring to as far as "trying a repair.

I haven't had a bsod incident since my last post which, IMO, is a good thing. Although it still bothers me as I wait for the next one, being careful what programs I run.

I have ran the "sfc /scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth" as suggested in the ComputerWorld article again. They both came up clean.

This morning, I decided to have Windows Defender do a full scan, which took 3 1/2 hours to complete. One threat was found > with this scan ... There are others still in the list (is the reason for >with this scan) as I have not removed previous threats. only quarantined them. The threat found THIS time was "PUA:Win32/conduit". This may be lingering from some previous issues I had with a program I d/loaded from an unreliable vendor. I ran a full scan at that time and, also backed it with a "Housecall" scan from Trend Micro and thought I had cleared that all up but, as I said, I only quarantined the threats and didn't remove them. Could or, would this cause the bsod issues I've been experiencing?

I will be more than happy to provide the names of the other threats in quarantine, which are all defined as "low".

Back
Top Bottom