Windows 7 BSOD resulting in a failed windows boot!

SteveLee

Hello!

Earlier today, I experienced a BSOD indicating that my display driver underwent an infinite loop, and as a result, my laptop won't even boot up - it just stays idle in the windows logo screen then restarts every time.

I tried doing the windows startup repair as well as system restore, but none of these have helped.

The only way to access windows is via safe mode at the moment. Please help!

Thanks.

Regards,
MrCode

Attachments

• EventApp.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 439
  • CPU-z.jpg
    CPU-z.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 429
Hi Steve,

if you can only access Windows via safe mode then chances are it's a driver causing mischief and not hardware.

As the issue stemmed from the gpu driver try using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller (has to be used in safe mode for best results).

This will not only remove the current driver but anything else like corruption from previous installs.

Once it been run you should be able to boot back into windows where you can apply the latest driver for your machine.

If the bsod continues then we need to your dump files created when the machine blue screens.

You can find them in a folder marked 'minidump' in the main windows folder.

If you don't find any then you may need to change settings or re-enable your page file.

Make sure your settings are set thusly:

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

I might be wrong but is this your machine?
Support For GX60 1AC | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider | MSI Global

Yes, that is my very old laptop.

I'll get back to you once I do all of the above.

I appreciate it.

Ok Steve, I'll check back in an hour or so.

Good luck and if your struggling to find a driver or still have issues try using the gpu driver on the support page.

Well, I did what you told me to do, but the problem still exists.

I looked at my minidump folder, but it was empty, and since I'm not getting any BSODs, it will be impossible to produce any sort of a BSOD log.

The problem is that the laptop restarts every time it hangs on the boot/windows logo screen.

I've had these BSODs in the past, but it has never resulted in a failed windows boot up. How did I fix it? I uninstalled every IObit software, and it did the trick.

However, the Smart Defrag keeps on showing up during boot up even after I uninstalled that program. Would it be that the SmartDefragDriver.sys is causing the problem? If so, is there a safe way to remove it?

Thanks.

P.S. - My laptop is actually a gx60 Hitman Edition, however the drivers are identical with the other version. I tried installing said drivers, but it failed to detect my laptop's drivers.

I tried the first solution, but the smartdefragdriver.sys is not showing up on the list, so that is a no-go since I don't know the .inf file.

The second solution was not possible since it only shows the list of current installed applications, and not the sys32 file. Remember, I already uninstalled SmartDefrag, but the sys file still lingers within my system.

Any other ways of deleting it safely?

Ok, I found a way to delete the file.

I reinstalled a fresh set of drivers, but the problem is still existent. Every time I restart the laptop, it would just sit there on the windows logo screen then restart again.

However, if I uninstall the drivers completely and try to boot the computer up again, it works. It seems like there's an issue with the display drivers or the software itself.

I would appreciate further assistance, please.

Hi Steve,
However, if I uninstall the drivers completely and try to boot the computer up again, it works. It seems like there's an issue with the display drivers or the software itself.
Do you mean by uninstalling 'the drivers' the gpu driver?

Try running Revo uninstaller and see if it turns up anything.
Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

You can always look in the program files (86) to see if there's a folder left over form smartdefrag and if there is remove the contents. Don't remove smartdefrag folder itself just what's inside, if anything.

So if don't install any gpu drivers can you use the machine without booting into safe mode?

Yes, I uninstalled both the display driver that's built in plus the GPU driver via the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).

I deleted the Smartdefragdriver.sys safely, but the computer still has issues booting up.

Once I fully uninstall both drivers and related software, the laptop automatically installs the default VGA Graphics Adaptor, and I'm able to log into windows without via safe mode. So, that is a yes to your last question.

but the computer still has issues booting up.
What are the actual issues as your last paragraph you state you can now boot into windows without safemode?

In case you have some corruption, look in your start menu, all apps area for command prompt and right click on it. choose properties and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If it cannot repair any issues found try running it a few times.

As long as my display drivers are running, the system fails to boot up.

But after I uninstall both drivers and related software, and I restart the laptop, it boots up just fine.

So I believe there is either a hardware or software issue with my display drivers mainly because every time I've ever experienced a BSOD, it would be due to playing a game that was very strenuous on my GPU.

But now, it's gotten much worse since I can't get past the windows logo screen without the laptop having to restart. Before, I would be able to boot windows up just fine, but after a few minutes into the desktop, a BSOD would appear everytime.

I've already run the sfc /scannow, but I'll do it a few times and see what comes up.

Jumping in here, but you mentioned in your original Post, that you're laptop was quite old. Have you tried testing your hardware for defective RAM memory stick(s) or Hard Drive(s) yet? If not, and you are the original owner of that laptop, and have never replaced the hard drive, you should be aware of the fact that it's very likely your hard drive (or RAM) could be failing or failed and could be causing this problem. Hard Drives are only designed to last for only 2 years in modern laptops (built >2009 or later)! :eek:

You might consider testing your hardware; take a look at my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE available here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

If it fixes the problem, then you are all set to go!:up:

If it doesn't fix the problem, then at least you know if you have to perform more aggressive software repairs such as Windows repairs(CHDSK, SFC, DISM) or even a W7 reinstallation from factory Recovery Media, it's a lot more likely to work if you know your hardware is Ok.

Just a thought.
Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I doubt very much it's down to RAM or a hard drive. (neither can you run DISM with Windows 7)

But after I uninstall both drivers and related software, and I restart the laptop, it boots up just fine.

Have you tried running with only one gpu running?

Try running with just the Intel gpu running. You should be able to disable either gpu via the BIOS.

Can you remember what started the problem off?

Did you change anything or install anything new either hardware or software?

@BIGBEARJEDI I appreciate the advice and will be sure run both tests.

@kemical This particular laptop runs a duo setup when it comes to the integrated graphics card and GPU.

Would it still possible to disable one or the other via the BIOS?

Well, at first, the IObit software was the culprit for the majority of my BSODs, and after uninstalling all of them, the BSODs stopped for about a month. But I always seemed to get a BSOD while playing a game.

I did not change or install anything, hardware of software, other than some minor computer fix programs.

other than some minor computer fix programs.
Hmm... which programs as some can cause more issues than repair?

Would it still possible to disable one or the other via the BIOS?
Check the bios or even your manual if you have one. I can't say for certain as I'm unfamiliar with your system but i know it's possible with set ups. I could choose to disable either gpu on my system as the intel chip carried it's own gpu.

Just some free programs such as Registry Repair and jv16 PowerTools 2017.

According to some threads online, my laptop, the gx60, does not have an unlocked BIOS so it's not possible to disable either of the drivers.

I just checked my BIOS and there is no option to disable them unfortunately.

Just some free programs such as Registry Repair and jv16 PowerTools 2017.
Your better off leaving the registry well alone.

Even cleaning it can cause issues so try not to use anything to do with the registry.

I had a look at jv16 PowerTools and I would remove it. This application affects your start up as well as other areas of the system and to be honest I've yet to find one or hear of one which doesn't end up causing problems. (you can always re-install later)

Which security suite are you using?

Ok, I uninstalled the program.

I'm currently using what came with the laptop - Microsoft Security Essentials.

Is that what you meant by security suite?

I agree with kemical on the Registry tweaking software. I have one tech friend who uses JV16 Power Tools all the time; however, he is an expert User. I have taken a look at it and haven't really used it yet. It takes years to become familiar with a tool like that, as it has lots of options, but like other Registry cleaners such as CCleaner, you can easily damage your Registry if you don't know what you are doing.:waah:

It's also bad that you can't isolate your 2 GPU chips (or Card & Chip) in BIOS to only run 1. That's yet another poor design feature of MSI laptops. I'm not a fan.

You can continue to undue the damage you may have done to your laptop by trying to fix it with free Registry tools. And it may yet work. Personally, I would recommend you test your hardware as I've already suggested, and reset or reinstall your W7 OS. This whole process will take you from 3 days to 1 week, and you're laptop should be back to running normally. :up:
Troubleshooting your software could take considerably longer, weeks or months. We've spent this long before on MSI laptops with over 100 threads on the Post and multiple contributors trying to fix the problem, with a resulting outcome of a failed Motherboard. If you try the hardware test and windows reinstall, you'll know in a week if it's your Motherboard or not, which is a very expensive replacement or repair; usually several hundred dollars. It's up to you, it's your computer of course. It's probably worth asking you at this point if you made W7 Recovery Media (DVD or USB) or not for your laptop? If you don't have Recovery Media, you might check to see if you have a hidden Recovery Partition on your hard drive which allows you to recover to Out-Of-Box condition; in other words all the software that came pre-loaded at the factory when you first purchased and opened the laptop from it's box. Even if you don't use it right away, and you continue troubleshooting the software, it would be good to create it now or locate if or where you have it, just in case.:lightbulb:

Let us know how you get on.
<<BBJ>>

Back
Top Bottom