Windows 7 BSOD resulting in a failed windows boot!

Ok, I uninstalled the program.

I'm currently using what came with the laptop - Microsoft Security Essentials.

Is that what you meant by security suite?
Yes it is.

So how is the system booting now with the removal of the software?

I still stand by my recommendation that you leave the registry well alone despite what others may suggest. If Windows needed a registry cleaner it would include one with the os.

Most issues care caused by faulty device drivers or applications.

It might also be worth your while by looking in the event logs. I sometimes hesitate in suggesting this because the event logs can look like an absolute horror show when in-reality things aren't really that bad. Basically what your looking for is an event which looks like it might be linked and repeated often.

Also have a look though your applications and their age. If any have been installed for longer than say 6 months I'd check to see if a later version is available.

I haven't reinstalled the drivers yet since this is the only way to boot up the computer without having to use safe mode.

I guess I'll try after installing the drivers again.

I'm not experienced at looking at the event viewer, but I'll give it a shot and then get back to you.

What kind of applications are you referring to? I have several programs that are many years old.

I have several programs that are many years old.
Well just like anything Steve they degrade over time and if a app has literally been installed for years it's worth checking for an update as well as a fresh install of said app.

I guess I'll try after installing the drivers again.
Sorry about this but troubleshooting does involve a certain amount of trial and error.

Reinstalled the drivers, but windows still refuses to boot up and just restarts at the windows logo screen.

Also, according to the events log, it gave me an error in one of the application logs:

Event filter with query "SELECT *FROM_InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage>99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

I'm not sure if that has to do with anything, but nothing hurts to try, right?

Would you like me to list all the recent errors that I've gotten within the past hour?

So where did you get to regarding old applications which have been used for years?

Have you tried booting from the windows 7 disk and running a repair?

In an effort to try and find the driver causing the issues please run the driver verifier.

If it works correctly then it will create a dump file so make sure your settings are correct:

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Well, regarding the old applications, I've been looking through my very long list of programs and deleting the ones that I don't use anymore or are too old for it to be of any use to me. Should I continue doing this?

I cannot run the repair via the windows 7 disk because it seems that I have misplaced it and cannot find it at the moment.

I started the driver verifier, in accordance to the guide, and got my first BSOD soon after booting up windows.

Along with this post are the attached minidump files.

I will continue running the verifier after i get some shut eye. :)

Attachments

• 071117-44959-01.dmp
    265.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 071117-47065-01.dmp
    265.5 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Well, regarding the old applications, I've been looking through my very long list of programs and deleting the ones that I don't use anymore or are too old for it to be of any use to me. Should I continue doing this?
Very much so. If i stop using something then i remove it (probably due to being an SSD and space is at a premium ;) ) .
Seriously though it's always a good idea to remove old or unused applications as they simply bog the machine down.

The less apps on your system the faster it will run and be easier to maintain. Personally i always try and run a very clean install, what I mean by that is not over doing the applications. Why have three apps that do the same thing when the windows version probably does just as well kinda thing. Even modern systems can be slowed by too many applications something which one of our long standing members experienced themselves a while back.
Anyhoo I'll get on and read those dump files.. Back shortly.. :)

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck C4, {81, fffffa80121f59e0, 8a, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mcdbus.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mcdbus.sys
Probably caused by : mcdbus.sys ( mcdbus+36823 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------
Hi Steve,

hopefully a bit of good news. The Driver Verifier was successful in flushing out this driver:

mcdbus.sys Tue Feb 24 10:34:07 2009: MagicISO SCSI Host Controller driver. Please remove this application to test.

Both dump files were the same so there's a good chance it's the culprit.

Also please remember to turn off the driver verifier.

Hope all goes well.

Uninstalled MagicISO, but it's still a no-go unfortunately.

Should I continue running the driver verifier?

I also ran the memory test, and no issues were found.

Last edited:
Uninstalled MagicISO, but it's still a no-go unfortunately.
I also wonder how many little apps like this you have installed.

At this moment in time anything third party and of a decent age has to be under suspicion..

I believe the memory test lasted a few hours.

Are you referring to the built-in test or the one which requires an ISO mount or what not?

I've already went through most of the app list and uninstalled many more programs that I'm currently not using at the moment.

I'll try running the driver verifier after I come back from work.

Steve I would also try running the sfc scanner from time to time. Also can you right click on your C drive, choose properties, Tools (along the top) and then check drive. If you see two check boxes appear in further dialogue boxes then please tick them both. You'll probably need to reboot but that's as normal.

Well, I've done a few sfc scans before and have encountered no issues, but I will periodically initiate them whenever I have the time.

I tried to run a chkdsk via your method but on restart, it failed to start due to a hardware/software change, so as a result, I had to type in chkdsk /r via cmd, and it worked.

I let it run for a few hours, but no issues were found.

Ok, I think I'll be able to recover my windows CD after all.

I just need to let the windows repair run and see what results I get.

P.S. - Is there a safe ISO program that I can use?

Last edited:
P.S. - Is there a safe ISO program that I can use?
Sure, Windows itself. Simply right click on the iso and click 'burn disk image'. Make sure you have the correct media in the drive and off you go.

A repair may help with that start up but another thing to check is your Task manager under start up. See whats starting up with windows and if it looks like it shouldn't be there disable it.

I reinstalled windows but without getting rid of my current existing files.

If that doesn't work, I just might do a full re-installation of windows after I backup my files.

Regarding the task manager, what kind of startup programs should I be looking out for?

I reinstalled windows but without getting rid of my current existing files.
So you did whats known as an upgrade installation and it may or may not work. Worth a try though..

Regarding the task manager, what kind of startup programs should I be looking out for?
Anything out of the ordinary which would make you wonder why on earth it needs to start up, that kinda thing. I know it's not as cut and dried as that but if in doubt ask or even Google. Plus it shouldn't ideally be a huge list and around 7-8 app/programs is about perfect but see what you find.

Back