Windows 7 BSOD twice within a week, unsure of cause.

krab

Hey guys!

Within the past week i have gotten two BSODs and I'm really confused as to what could be going on. This is occurring on my laptop, HP DV6-5163CA. I used a program called "BlueScreenView" and saw the both of the BSODs came from "ntoskrnl.exe" and doing a quick search online I saw that it could be tied to a memory issue. I then downloaded and ran "Memtest86+" for a little more than two hours. It had gone through two complete passes without any errors.

That is as far as my knowledge with BSOD goes so hopefully you guys can help me out :) Attached is the compressed folder which contains all the information which I believe are needed (files from W7F diagnostic tool, the pictures of CPU-Z and the HTML report of PassMark RAMMon), but if I am missing something then please let me know.

Thank you very much in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Krab

Hi Krab, I can't find the attached file from the W7F Diagnostic - maybe you could try uploading it again?

Last edited:
Just FYI - ntoskrnl.exe is the kernel (core) of the operating system. It is protected by the System File Protection and isn't likely to be the cause of your issues. If you did have a problem with ntoskrnl.exe you'd have a lot more problems other than the occasional BSOD.

That being said, the reason that it's blamed is that something else has caused a problem which, in turn, caused ntoskrnl.exe to crash to a BSOD. Sorta like your car stopping (the BSOD) when you run out of gas (the real cause) - it's not the engine (ntoskrnl.exe) that's at fault.

The most common reason for BSOD's is 3rd party (non-Windows) drivers. So, that's what we look at first.
Once we rule out the most common problems (and have indications that it's not a 3rd party driver), then we start looking at hardware problems (the next most common reason). Windows problems follow that and are, IMO, much less common than any of the other reasons.

Hi Krab, I can't find the attached file from the W7F Diagnostic - maybe you could try uploading it again?

If you do upload it and I'm not online (or anyone else) -

Post reserved.

You are right, it does not seem to be there, my appologies. It should now be attached in this post. Thanks!

Just FYI - ntoskrnl.exe is the kernel (core) of the operating system. It is protected by the System File Protection and isn't likely to be the cause of your issues. If you did have a problem with ntoskrnl.exe you'd have a lot more problems other than the occasional BSOD.

That being said, the reason that it's blamed is that something else has caused a problem which, in turn, caused ntoskrnl.exe to crash to a BSOD. Sorta like your car stopping (the BSOD) when you run out of gas (the real cause) - it's not the engine (ntoskrnl.exe) that's at fault.

The most common reason for BSOD's is 3rd party (non-Windows) drivers. So, that's what we look at first.
Once we rule out the most common problems (and have indications that it's not a 3rd party driver), then we start looking at hardware problems (the next most common reason). Windows problems follow that and are, IMO, much less common than any of the other reasons.

Ahh I see, and that I did not know. Well hopefully with the files attached now the true cause can be identified.

Attachments

• BSOD.rar
    967.4 KB · Views: 226
From what I can see from the bug analysis, it looks as though a driver is causing the problem - the driver could be using too much memory, using the wrong memory etc etc.

Debug session time: Mon Nov 5 12:13:16.349 2012 (UTC + 11:00)
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\MZ\SysnativeBSODs\110412-31371-01.dmp]
System Uptime: 0 days 9:20:39.681
BugCheck D1, {1c, 2, 0, fffffa800b644178}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+260 )
Bugcheck code 000000d1
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000001c, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffffa800b644178, address which referenced memory
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xD1_nt!KiPageFault+260
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Debug session time: Wed Oct 31 13:53:32.694 2012 (UTC + 11:00)
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\MZ\SysnativeBSODs\103012-31949-01.dmp]
System Uptime: 0 days 6:46:03.958
BugCheck D1, {1c, 2, 0, fffffa800b906f28}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+260 )
Bugcheck code 000000d1
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000001c, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffffa800b906f28, address which referenced memory
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0xD1
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xD1_nt!KiPageFault+260
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

Looking at the driver list, there are a few drivers that are out of date and some drivers that are potential problems.

Link Removed - Invalid URL Wed Jul 28 2010
This is your webcam driver that dates back to 2010. Webcam drivers are related to BSOD errors, and I assume (from the last update date) that you don't use the webcam often. So, uninstall the software unless you actually plan to use it later on.

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=WDKMD.sys Thu Dec 23 2010
This is Intel's Wireless Display driver, which has also been known to cause BSODs. AND it was last updated in 2010. So, like the previous driver I mentioned, uninstall this (or if you use a wireless monitor/screen then update it to the latest version).

Link Removed - Invalid URL Mon Dec 12 2011
This is a Bluetooth driver from Intel. Windows 7 doesn't like bluetooth devices or drivers (in my personal experience anyway). It was last updated almost a year ago, so I'm also assuming you don't use bluetooth that often. Even if you do, I suggest you uninstall all bluetooth related devices and drivers, and see if that fixed the problem.

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=NETwNs64.sys Tue Dec 13 2011
Although this is a WiFi driver, it has been known to cause crashes in Windows 7. Also being updated almost a year ago, like the 3 previous drivers I mentioned before, uninstall it.

You have 2 outdated USB controllers - they have been known to cause BSODs, and they were updated over a year ago.
Driver Reference Table - nusb3hub.sys
Driver Reference Table - nusb3xhc.sys
so uninstall those two as well.

Although this is probably not the cause, uninstall NOD32 (your current AntiVirus) and instead use Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows (which is a more used AV software).

Also:
Driver Reference Table -TuneUpUtilitiesDriver64.sys Thu Sep 17 2009
This was downloaded in 2009, so uninstall it (or if you bought the full version [in my opinion you shouldn't, to me it's a rip off] then update it to the latest software).

From your original post, you say you ran Memtest86+ for 2 passes. I suggest running it for at least 8. Leave it running overnight, and look back at it in the morning - if it's the physical memory that's causing the problem, it'd show up.

The memory reference could also be pointing towards your Hard drive, so run HD Tune website overnight (DO NOT RUN MEMTEST AND HDTUNE TOGETHER [in my experience it's not as reliable], RUN THEM ONE NIGHT AT A TIME) and see if it shows any errors.

Just a couple of things that I noted in addition to what GeneralHiningII has posted

This device has problems:
iPodDrv ROOT\LEGACY_IPODDRV\0000 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
Please un-install it to see if that fixes it. If you want the device installed on your system, please download a fresh copy of the latest Win7 compatible version to install.

WER blames NETwNs64.sys as the cause of BSOD on 05Nov12. I'd suggest:
- downloading a new set of wireless network drivers from the manufacturer's website
- un-installing the current wireless network drivers
- installing the freshly downloaded drivers
- monitoring for further BSOD's

If none of this fixes the problem, then try running Driver Verifier according to these instructions: Driver Verifier Settings

Thank you guys very much, you are extremely helpful!! I have done all your recommendations to the best of my ability, and I have just finished running Memtest86+ for about eight and a half passes so things look good there. I shall run the HD Tune overnight tonight and see the results from that as well.

Again thank you guys! Hopefully this BSOD will be done with :D

Back